Chapter seven: The smell of abandonment

My eyes snapped open. A rapid pain shot through my entire body. Even breathing was an agonising struggle. My head was throbbing like crazy. I looked around and once again I had no idea where I was. I was beginning to make a habit of this now. Although the bedroom did look slightly familiar. But I have no idea where from.

A musty smell lingered in the air, the sort of smell that would suggest abandonment. Dim and uninviting are the only words that come to my mind when I try to describe what the room was like.  The furniture's colour was fading with age, it looked as if the whole thing would crumble to dust if I were to touch it. Mould ate away at the walls and flooring. Cobwebs laced the portraits of self-righteous people who clearly used to live here. The bedroom windows were oversized and divided into many parts like the compound eyes of a fly.

Curiosity bested me. I needed to know where I was. Gingerly, I climbed out of bed and snuck over to the nearest window. Ignoring the pain, I looked outside and could hardly believe my eyes. It was the same forest. The same place I had so desperately tried to escape from. But how? When I was up in trees there was no signs of a house, or any buildings for that matter. Then I saw it. The gravestone. My gravestone. Right in front of my view. I sighed. It felt like it was almost teasing me - reminding me that I was trapped. Just then the doorknob turned. The only thing keeping me to the spot was fear. I remembered most things. However, everything was blurry after the man caught up to me... the man! He was here. Ready to hurt me or taunt me. I wasn't ready for this. Please no. Creak. The door opened...