Chapter four: The shadow's face

Tears blind me and I turn, running as swiftly as my long legs can carry me, bolting down the uneven path like an Olympic champion. I quicken my pace to an all-out sprint. All I could hear was the clanging of my converses heavily pounding the ground that matched my heart throbbing inside my chest. I can't even begin to describe the grief and fear I felt as I ran through those woods. My mind was fixed on one thing and one thing only. My death. I still couldn't believe it. Mind racing, I didn't focus on my surroundings. Thud! I'd tripped over a fallen branch. My head crashed against the ground with immense power. I grasped my head that was throbbing with pain. Colourful dots started to block my vision. Feeling woozy, I closed my eyes. Everything went black...

My eyes snapped open, wishing for everything to just be a bad dream. Wishing it wasn't real - that I wasn't dead. My heart dropped; I was still in the woods. I looked to my left. It was them. The shadow I had encountered before. Fear became a tangible, living force that snuck over me like a hungry beast, immobilising me; my brain, holding me hostage. I was not frightened nor was I afraid - what I felt was beyond such mere nouns.

They were standing next to me; this gave me a good look at their face. And how I wish I hadn't. It was easy to tell that he was a elderly man, the youngest age he could be was seventy. His blood shot eyes twitched uncomfortably, under his un-brushed, light grey hair. But the most disturbing thing about him was the bloody red stitches that climbed his pale neck, under his corruptive and perpetual grin. He started to cackle to himself, showing off his chipped teeth that bent inwards like broken piano keys. He reached forward, his eyes shining. His crooked, bony fingertips grazed my shoulder. A shudder travelled up my spine.

Fortunately, the sensation began to crawl into my legs and leaping upwards, I ran, and not once did I look back. Because if I did - I'd see the man that haunted me every time I closed my eyes. I ran further into the woods, not caring if I'd get lost. All I needed to do was escape him, all I cared about was losing sight of him.