29 | The Start to Finding Natsu

Saturday, April 6, 2008

I follow behind Sergius' car in my own with Nina in the passenger's seat. She and I watch the scenery change as we drive further away. It's a little more than 40 minutes from the boarding house to my new flat in Beckenham. While I have yet to see the flat he sneakily purchased and furnished, he told me what town it's in. Sergius decided I should live within walking distance from the school I'll attend next Fall. I'll be a 30-minute drive away from Central London where Sergius and I work and Nina attends school. It's practical.

Finally, we reach our destination. The building of flats is simple, made of red brick, lacking any eye-catching design. I'm surprised; I thought he'd force something more luxurious on me. Something similar in extravagance to the boarding house. This, while kempt and not dilapidated, is a far cry from the boarding house.

Sergius is already out of the car and walking towards mine, so I open the door. "Please don't forget that I plan to pay for things myself once I can." From the looks of the building, it shouldn't be long before I'm able.

"Mhm," Sergius hums dismissively as he opens the rear door of the car. "Why don't we grab some things to save us a trip?"

With Sergius carrying a box of books, Nina dragging a medium suitcase, and me pulling a large suitcase, we go up the stairs to the 3rd floor, then stop before flat number 2.

"Here we are," Sergius says, handing me the key.

I unlock the door and step into a small entry hallway. Reminds me of Japan. "Take off your shoes," I tell the two others, slipping off my own. I was raised by Asian parents, and even if one was half, taking off your shoes before entering is just something you do. At the boarding house, I didn't bother because no one else did, but since this is my space, I make the rules.

The two obey without fuss.

The end of the hallway leads to the living room, already furnished with a new off-white sofa in its center. The walls and floors are pristine. The inside of this place does not match the outside. I've been tricked. Sergius sets the box of books in front of the bookshelves on either side of the TV. At one end of the living room is a glass door that leads to the balcony. He pushes back the blue-grey curtains and slides it open before stepping outside. At the other end of the room is the kitchen. The countertops are black, and its accents are steel. There's already a kettle atop the stove. I roll the suitcases into the bedroom, and Nina follows with the other suitcase. The bed is a double and its sheets are grey with a blue duvet. Like home.

Sergius steps into the bedroom behind Nina and opens the door to the bathroom. "Do you like the color scheme?"

"I guess."

Sergius glances at me. "Of course you do, it's all you wear practically. Well, thanks to Emina, perhaps not anymore."

"You―" Nina blurts. "Red suits you." She shrugs one shoulder and lets her hair fall in front of her face. "Just in case you were wondering."

I tilt my head curiously. She's so awkward lately. I should really get to reading that Female Brain book.

After realizing Sergius has disappeared from sight, I enter the spacious bathroom to be greeted by another open door.

"It's connected," Sergius says as he stands between the sofa and round top kitchen table. "So when you have guests, be sure to lock the door."

Guests? I look at Nina, who happens to be looking at me. She whips her head away, eating strands of her hair that she swats off her tongue.

Definitely need to read that book. "Thank you," I say to Sergius.

He leans back, appearing startled. "Just answer the phone when I call you."