twenty-six: art of manipulation

PRIYA PATTERSON

I took my time and walked out of the room; the morning sun was rising; lighting up the condo through the ceiling to floor windows that surrounded the living room. Egypt laid sprawled out on the humongous couch, before him was his dinner plate from last night along with an empty pop can. The TV which was still on, displayed highlights from last nights' basketball game which I'm guessing he fell asleep watching.

I made my way over to the table quickly picking up after the small mess made. I was beginning to grow a little bit tired of seeing the four walls of the bedroom and figured maybe a little cleaning would help me get back into the groove of things again.

Wincing, I walked towards the kitchen where my eyes caught glance of the big bouquet of pink roses that sat on the kitchen counter. A smile tugging at my lips, to think that even with my difficultness over the past week, Egypt still found a way to try and make my day.

Yesterday I wasn't able to go through with everything he had planned. I knew the intentions were good, but I just wasn't ready. I expected him to be as pissed as Pierre usually did once I ruined plans but in turn, he did the opposite, bringing all his plans to me. Egypt kicked an amazing meal that I was served in bed, opted for giving me a foot massage then set up the TV in the bedroom for me to watch ATL. Although simple, they all contributed to me feeling so much more better this morning.

These flowers were the icing on the cake. I was used to getting flowers regularly from Pierre, but these didn't come from a place of apology as his normally did. They came from a place that genuinely wanted to make me smile and I had to admit, he did a good job because I was cheesing like a dumbass here in this kitchen.

I shook my head and took a whiff, before reading the little note he had leaned against the vase. 'Secret Admirer.' I playfully rolled my eyes, placing the card down so I could walk around to the sink. Stealing a glance at Egypt made me thankful. Deep down I knew that I wouldn't have been able to do this on my own, his strength kept me together.

I tossed out the garbage and turned on the water, rolling up the sleeves of my pajamas so that I could wash up. I never thought I'd see the day where something as simple as washing the dishes were such an accomplishment, but after being in the hospital for four weeks and in this bed for another one, this was a big deal for me.

I nearly caused myself to cry just thinking about it, I could've been dead yet here I stood, alive and well, carrying the child that I dreamt of. Wow, and here I was moping... when I had far more to give God thanks for.

I fought away the tears, focusing on the dishes which although were just a few, I wanted to make them last a while.

"I could've handled that, you know?" I glanced up to see Egypt slowly sitting up in the couch, he stretched before standing to his feet.

"It's okay, I got it." I croaked, quickly clearing my throat. "Thank you for the flowers." I pointed, "I really appreciate them and they're my favorite color on top of that."

"Don't mention it, I got them last night but by the time I returned you were out like a light."

"What can I say? Your food gave me the itis."

"Good to know that I still got it." he lifted his phone from the coffee table, glancing down at the notifications that caused a smile to creep on his face. my brow raised and I subconsciously, cleared my throat. Egypt looked up with the grin still intact, "the food took me out as well, I can't even lie." He said while walking over to where I stood. "Look who found their legs."

"Just trying my best to get out of the funk..."

"I see my massage did the trick, I've been told I got magical hands." he ran his tongue over his bottom lip as he joined my side, leaning against the counter and placing his phone down. "All in all, how are you feeling today?"