In Which the Parents are Met and an Injury Leads to A Kitchen Tryst

It was around three weeks after Kamijo proposed, that the day came that I met his parents

It was around three weeks after Kamijo proposed, that the day came that I met his parents. I had spoken to them before, many times, having been around when Kamijo called them. A little known but adorable fact about him, was that he always called his parents, at least once a week to speak with them. More if he could get the time. He was very much an only child and he was his parents’ pride and joy. So much so, that they still called him ‘Hoshinoōjisama’ or ‘Little Prince’ a fact that I found incredibly heart melting.

I remember the churning feeling in my stomach the day they arrived and we watched as they pulled into our drive. We met them on our porch and the first thing I noticed, was that his mother was the same height as me, which wasn’t much. We both stood at four feet nine inches. His mother’s name was Katsume and she had seemed nice enough, the times that I had spoken to her. Her hair was coal black with slight streaks of gray going through it, but it only served to make her look more beautiful and distinguished, seeing her, I could see where Kamijo got his ‘pretty’ looks. She was wearing a casual but beautiful pale pink Kimono, with little cranes embroidered here and there all over the material. Her obi followed the crane theme, except it’s dominant colour was a soft and pale lemon. I bowed to her as she greeted me, straightening only after she had asked it off me. She graced me with a blinding smile, commenting on my politeness.

Once Katsume had turned her attention to Kamijo, so that they could greet one another, I noticed Kamijo’s father, Mitsuka watching me intensely, as he made his way up the porch steps. I bowed to him also and welcomed him to our home, staying in my bowed position until he told me otherwise. Once he had asked me to straighten once more, he turned to Kamijo and commended him on me. Calling me a pretty little thing and telling Kamijo that he was a lucky man. I had blushed profusely at this and cast my eyes to the ground. Blushing even more, when Kamijo agreed with his father.

Once everyone had moved inside, I settled Kamijo and his parents in the living room and excused myself, to go and fetch the Hibiscus tea that I had, had already brewing. Once I had gathered everything up and onto the tea tray, I made my way back to the living room and began serving the tea, Katsume complimenting me on my form and Mitsuka voicing his agreement. I smiled at them both, thanking them and then looked at Kamijo as I served him, seeing as he gave me a wink.

Once we all had cups in our hands we started to make small talk which eventually evolved to asking about my heritage and how Kamijo and I met. I had explained where I was from and what had brought me to Japan. Katsume got excited when I explained that I was a trained dancer in many forms and that I had made a reputable business out of my art. Mitsuka had seemed surprised and in Japanese, spoke to Kamijo commenting that he was scared that I had attached myself to his son for ulterior reasons. He didn’t listen when Kamijo tried to interrupt him, to let him know that I spoke Japanese fluently. So I had smirked to myself, seizing my opportunity to pipe in and say, in flawless Japanese, that ‘no, I certainly hadn’t gotten with Kamijo for any other reason other than pure intentions. But I could understand his concerns.’ Mitsuka had blushed deeply and stuttered out an apology, making a fuss about drinking some of his tea as Katsume giggled quietly.