Chapter Ten

Salvationwing was near the fresh-kill pile with Brightpaw. Brightpaw was very excited to start being a warrior so her mother didn't need to worry about her anymore. Windspots was always trying to get Salvationwing to tell her about her training and how much she already knows.

   It was annoying, but Salvationwing understood. Having only a litter of two kits and finding out that one of them died would definitely trigger overprotectiveness.

   "How long until the assessment?" Brightpaw meowed when she finished her mouse.

   "Not very long now," Salvationwing purred. "You'll be ready in a moon. Now, how about we train once I finish this?"

   Brightpaw's eyes brightened and she nodded eagerly. What an optimistic apprentice, Salvationwing thought. She finished her finch and they walked to the training area. They both got into defensive positions when they started.

   Salvationwing started, "Let's see what you mastered so far. Pretend I'm an enemy warrior that is going to rip your fur apart—"

   Without hesitation, Brightpaw leaped at her. Salvationwing was prepared for it and she jumped over Brightpaw. As she turned, she saw Brightpaw looking around, wondering where she went. Seeing this as an opportunity, Salvationwing snuck up to her. Brightpaw turned around and Salvationwing swiped her paw at Brightpaw's cheek.

   Brightpaw stumbled backwards and Salvationwing ran into her. Brightpaw fell and Salvationwing stopped. "Are you just going to lay there and wait for your enemy to finish you?" Salvationwing asked.

   "No," Brightpaw grunted. She faced Salvationwing and growled. Salvationwing lunged at her and Brightpaw slid under her, dodging her attack. Salvationwing quickly turned and Brightpaw leaped, landing on her shoulders.

   Salvationwing fell beneath her weight. Brightpaw wasn't that heavy, but she'll give Brightpaw the satisfaction. "Good," Salvationwing purred.

   Brightpaw stepped off of Salvationwing and she got up, shaking her pelt. Salvationwing heard the bushes rustle behind her, and she turned to face whatever was coming out of the bushes. It turns out, it was only Lightningstar. He had a worried expression on his face. "Is everything alright?" Salvationwing asked.

   Lightningstar shook his head. "Have any of you seen Jaggedtail today?"

   Salvationwing and Brightpaw both shook their heads. "Is he missing?" Brightpaw asked.

"I'm afraid so," Lightningstar sighed. "If he doesn't show up by sunrise tomorrow, we're going to send a patrol to search the territory."

Salvationwing was stunned at hearing that the deputy had gone missing. No deputy would leave their clan, otherwise, they weren't fit to be leader. "If that ever happens," Salvationwing meowed, "Can me and Brightpaw be on the patrol?"

Lightningstar nodded and left. After that, Salvationwing and Brightpaw waited for the next day, hoping Jaggedtail would come back. But he didn't.

   The next day, Lightningstar called a meeting. "Jaggedtail went missing yesterday," he meowed to the clan. "I will organize a patrol to search the entire territory. The cats I choose must search the entire territory. Redfur, Salvationwing, Brightpaw, Jaggedfrost, Sparrowbranch, Fallingfoot, and Stonepoppy will be on the patrol."

   "An apprentice?" Sparrowbranch asked.

   "Yes, and you all will start now," Lightningstar leaped off and everyone went back to work.

   They had to find Jaggedtail. But what would happen if they found him out of clan territory? Or even worse, dead?