Part 6

The next morning, Andrew and Gareth were still asleep. I tried not to disturb them as I looked around for supplies. Fortunately, the shack had a generator, so the toilet and stove worked. I managed to find some canned food in the cupboards, and 2 gallons of water in the stove. These people were smart, to hide things in places you'd never think to look. As I walked back in the living room, I saw Gareth was awake.

"I'm going on a run, I'll be back in about an hour" he said as he headed out the door.

"Be careful." i said. 

Soon enough, Andrew was awake. 

He asked, "Where's my dad?"

"He went out on a run. He just left. He said he'll be back in about an hour."

"Okay." he replied back.

It was quiet for a little while. I felt the bruises on my arms and face. What was wrong with him? Was he really like this because of me? I'd have to find out what made Carl so crazy. Was he really that obsessed with me? It scared me thinking about it. It was hard for me to sleep. Every time I close my eyes, I can see him hitting me. And I lie there, defenseless. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Andrew asked.

"I'm fine, I guess. I'm just so scared that Carl is still out there, that he will come back and beat me. I think he's still out there, somewhere."

"It's okay, your safe with me and my dad. He can't hurt you anymore."

"I know, I'm just scared if i turn my back, he'll be there."

I felt my bruises once again and I closed my eyes. He was still there. Not literally, but in my mind. I will never forget him because of what he did to me. I would never be able to either. 

----------------------------------------

2 hours later

Gareth had came back with some food and some ammo. We had some of the canned food for dinner and that was about it.

"So what do you miss most, Sarah?" Andrew asked me.

 I had a blank expression on my face.

"You know, like texting, video games, television, stuff like that."

"oh." i replied dumbly. "Probably texting, seeing all my friends, my family."

It was silent for a few moments until I asked, "what do you miss most?"

"I miss human life." Andrew replied. "It's rare to find humans anymore. Nice people to help you out when you need them most."

"Me too." Gareth said. "I miss your mom. I hate to say it but I miss work." he said laughing.

---------------------------------

Gareth had soon fallen asleep after the conversation. It was just Andrew and I.

I could've sworn I heard someone, or something outside. I ignored it and we continued sitting there silently. Than, I heard the noise again.

"Did you hear that?" I asked.

"Hear what?"

"never mind" i said.

I was overreacting. There was nothing outside. I was only imagining it.

------------------------------------

*Carl's POV*

I was standing outside of the shack where Andrew, Gareth and Sarah were. I saw her look right at me, but thought nothing of it. I stood in the distance looking in on her and Andrew, who were cuddled next to each other.

"You're going to pay for this." I said under my breath.

"You're so going to pay for what you did to me, Sarah."

She was right. I was just another monster.