The Only Exception

This one-shot is based on the song The only Exception by Paramore. Listen to it while you read for a better understanding of the one-shot. Enjoy.

______

Love.

It had always been a foreign concept to her. Something unbelievable. Something that did not exist. It was unimaginable for her, that people would consider themselves in love, when they clearly were not.

After seeing her parents bicker, fight and make each other miserable for 10 years before finally getting divorced, hurting themselves and her in the process, she vowed she'd never fall in love.

She'd never make herself that vulnerable and hurt. Never. She would not get herself, or anyone else hurt just because she was incapable of love.

She didn't heckle or call out hate on people who claimed to be in 'love'. No. She just didn't believe in it herself. She didn't sing of it herself. Because she was sure, so sure, that it did not exist.

Everything had been going smoothly until he came along.

And ruined everything in her perception until he was all she could see.

______

When I was younger, I saw my daddy cry and cruse at the wind

He broke his own heart and I watched

As he tried to reassemble it

And my mama swore that she would,

Never let herself forget

And that was the day that I promised

I'd never sing of love, if it does not exist

"Take care Hinata." Hinata heard her father say to her as she hoisted her bag pack over her shoulder. She shook her head microscopically to herself before turning to face him.

"I will dad; it's only for two months."

Her father nodded and turned away, his expression somehow bitter despite his best attempts to stay neutral. Hinata sighed.

She knew how much he hated her going to stay with her mother. She knew how much he hated this arrangement. How bitter he still was about the divorce with his once beloved.

How he still missed her, despite his best attempts to hide it. How much he was still hurting despite it having been 6 years since the divorce.

She was also aware of how much her mother despised her father and blamed him for everything that had transpired between them. How she swore she would never forget the end to their supposed "fairy tale."

Hinata knew all this, despite her parent's best attempts to hide it. But it was written on their faces, clearly. At least to her.

Her father embraced her before she walked out the door, where a driver was waiting to take her to her mother's house. She sighed and sat inside the car, content to look out the window.

Her parent's still lived in the same town of course, having divided the assets both had made equally. They both lived in big houses with servants and rich materials.

Hinata had never cared for things like that, and still did not. Her parent's divorce had changed her completely from the shy, stuttering girl she had been.

She was still quiet but she was not hesitant to speak up anymore. It was the least she could do for herself. She owed that much to herself.

It was bad enough that her only friend at school was her cousin Neji, a year older than her. He lived with her and her father since the death of his own parents.