fifty five

The bomb exploded with such a force that Richie and Eddie were pushed apart from each other. Both fell into the water, Eddie instantly panicking and struggling to stay afloat.

He flailed his arms around, trying to breathe and stay above the water. He didn't know how deep it was, but his feet didn't touch the bottom. He was horrified and didn't know where anyone was. What if he drowned and Richie never found his body? What if Richie was already dead?

He didn't scream for help, though. Whoever had planted the bomb would have been close, probably to capture the survivors. Eddie knew he'd died before letting Klais interrogate him for information.

He continued to kick his legs and hands, feeling exhaustion leech out of his body. No one was coming, he knew that, so he tried to calm down and focus so he wouldn't die. Maybe there was time to escape before he died or was taken.

Then, he felt an arm on his own and begin to panic. He couldn't be captured. The arm began to drag him under, and Eddie felt something jam into his neck, making him choke.

Then, once again, he could breathe.

Eddie opened his eyes, suspecting he may have briefly passed out and been saved. Then, looking up, he saw that he was still beneath the water, the bottom of the ship above him. There was loose wood all over the water, clearly as a force of the bomb. It didn't destroy the ship, but it had caused minor damage.

"What?" he asked, realizing he was breathing in water and not suffocating. He realized there was still someone grabbing his arm.

A webbed hand was clutching his elbow.

Eddie's eyes widened as he met his savior's eyes. "Sirens are real?" he asked, noticing the tail and the illuminating grey eyes of the siren.

She had long hair, sharp teeth, but it made her look beautiful.

"We are," she said. "I'm breaking laws to assist the rebels as an assist to the Konillians and their bonds. Get out of here. You have a few minutes before you'll loose air. I can't share power for long."

Eddie nodded, paddling toward the surface while he still could breathe, glancing back at the siren. The siren vanished into the deep blue water below just as Eddie reached the ship. The rope ladder on the backside was still standing, so Eddie grabbed on, climbing up slowly. He was thankful his wound hadn't opened up as he dragged himself onto the deck, looking around for other signs of life.

The deck was in ruin. Fire was lit in different places, but Katie was there, trying to put them out. There was a gash on her face and Hazelle was whimpering and trying to help her master as much as she could.

Eddie started stomping on fires without Katie asking, instructing his friend to sit back and stop injuring herself further. She was reluctant but obeyed, calling over the side of the ship for her siblings.

Things were all over the deck as Eddie put out the rest of the fires, before sitting next to Katie. His first instinct was to search for Richie, but he knew that he needed to make sure Katie was alright.

He tended to her wound with the remains of a broken first aid kit he found on the deck, ignoring the scorching on the beach. Richie could swim, and he fell into the water. He'd be okay.

There was a yell on the beach, and Eddie was terrified of a dead body. The reality was even worse.

Lining the beach was a militia of Lucantians, all holding their weapons and surrounding the space around the Konillian ship. There were dragons behind them and countless guards.

"Eds!"

Eddie turned around to see Richie climbing up the side of the ship. He jumped onto the deck and ran forward, pulling Eddie to his chest.

"How the fuck aren't you dead?!" Richie yelled. "You can't swim!"

Then, Richie saw where Eddie's gaze was locked. He saw the warriors and his heart rate picked up.

"Fuck," he whispered, backing up toward the edge of the ship. "We're going to die."

"Way to be optimistic," Eddie said, sitting on the edge of the ship, ready to leap into the sea.

"I'm not trying to be. We're fucked, Eds."

In the distance, Eddie saw a few ships approaching the island and his heart dropped even further.

"How did they get back up already?" Katie asked, wrapping Hazelle's paw and standing with Eddie and Richie. "It hasn't even been a full day!"

The ships got closer and the Lucantians closed in, standing at the edge of the shore. They were ready to win the war before it even started, defeating the few Tenebrians who dared to rebel.

Richie squinted at the ship as it got closer, confused. A fleet of Lucanitan ships would definitely have their flag, but there was only a black flag on the ships, getting closer and closer.

"Rich," Eddie whispered as soon as they could see the people on board. "Holy fuck, Richie! Those aren't Lucantians!"

The ships got to the shore and the people disembarked, screamed and throwing their weapons toward the Lucantians. The Lucanitan soldiers seemed to realize that they were outnumbered and tried to run, getting away from the the attacking Tenebrians.

"Holy shit, you will not believe the week we've had!" Bev yelled from the shore, waving to Richie and Eddie.

They waved back and helped Katie of the ship, still slightly injured. They found their missing siblings and Cassie on the shore, having barely crawled out of the water with their bonds, who surprisingly survived.

"I'm so glad you guys are okay," Richie said, hugging Bev and Stan, who ran up to meet him. "I thought you idiots were on Tenebris!"

"We couldn't let the fight stay there with all the people. There's not many Ponanians in the first place, and we're going to offer a ship to get their kids out of here," Stan said, giving Eddie a hug.

Mike ran up to meet them as well. "We have a bit of time to prepare. They'll get ready quickly."

"Can we win?" Eddie asked, trying to stand up straight and show he wasn't in any pain.

"We can hope," Bev responded, having him a knife and a spear. "Welcome to Tenebris."