[ six ]

WASHINGTON D

WASHINGTON D.C.
america

____________________________

CORTEZ

"ALRIGHT, WE can stop." I breathed out. I set my hands on my knees and bent over. My chest was heaving up and down as I tried my best to let as much air into my lungs as possible.

"What? Can't keep up?" Steve asked.

Two weeks. It had been two weeks since my life was completely crashed by the walking talking patriotic symbol. Two long weeks of doing absolutely nothing.

We spent the first few days floating around town; and the annoying process of teaching Steve how to use a cell phone. He could hardly hold the damn thing, and the amount of times he held it upside down was uncanny.

"Oh, I can keep up." I said, not wanting to admit that our 'light' jog around the Lincoln Memorial had left me totally and utterly exhausted. My legs were on fire and the ache in my side was enough to make me believe I had a hernia.

In other words, I felt like death.

"Sure you can." Steve said. In the two weeks that we had spent together, more or less for at least an hour a day, I found myself unable to truly hate our forced time together. Even though he was the most annoying person in the entire world.

"Oh, I totally can. Let's kick it up a notch," I said, unable to stop myself. "We don't we run to the Smithsonian. It's only a mile and a half."

Steve raised an eyebrow and he looked at me with those stupid blue eyes. "You really want to do that?"

"I think it's you that doesn't want to do it." I said without thinking. Without showing emotion on my face, I cursed to myself. How could I possibly have said that? Why would I possibly think it would be a good idea to challenge Captain America to a run? I obviously didn't care about the fact that my legs were about to fall off and I could barely breathe.

"Alright, but if you stop halfway, I get to say I told you so."

Twenty minutes later, those were the exact words I was unfortunately hearing from Steve Rogers. I told you so as I nearly collapsed about a quarter of a mile before the goddamn museum. I didn't think my eyes could roll any harder.

The large museum was in sight as I paused in the middle of the street, the cold wind blowing on my red face. I sat my hands on my waist and looked around the crowded streets; seeing several school field trips already beginning in the morning light.

We had been running since before the sun came out.

"Okay, okay." I said, annoyed with his laughter. "I still got you on your ass the other day."

"You caught me off guard."

"I did not catch you off guard. I am just the better fighter." I said, shoving my hands in the pocket of my jacket. "Now, come on. We got an exhibit to look at. I bet you're crazy excited to see the Captain America one."