[ nine ]

WASHINGTON D

WASHINGTON D.C.
america

____________________________

CORTEZ

WHEN WE GOT BACK TO MY APARTMENT, my mood unsurprisingly soured. I couldn't seem to get what Fury told me out of my head; and the desperation that came with the need of killing Maxwell myself.

I mean, Black Sun, really?

Steve sensed my mood change the closer we got to the building, and stayed quiet the last half of the ride. I think he had a lot on his mind too.

Just as I was about to shut my door for the night, he spoke. "So about Europe."

I sighed loudly. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Maybe you should. You let me talk to you about my past. Talk to me about yours."

I squinted my eyes and stared at him. "I don't... I don't really like talking to people about things."

"Yeah, I kinda figured." Steve said. "But if you want to, I'm here."

I didn't say anything and instead shut the door. Turning around, I bite the inside of my cheek and debated on actually telling Steve what was going on inside my head.

I was so sure about going to Europe tonight. I was ready to give up my job at Shield for it. Anything to watch Maxwell's face as I put a bullet into his brain. But now that freaking spangles got to my head - oh, I gotta live a life, I have to be a decent person, freedom of speech and liberty and yadda yadda yadda - I wasn't sure what to think.

I whined loudly and stomped my foot against the hard floor before turning around. The hallway was empty when I crossed it, knuckles beating against the hard surface of the door.

When it opened and Steve's eyes set on my face I started to speak. "So, here's the thing." I pushed past him and walked into the bland apartment, going to sit in the soft couch.

"Maxwell murdered my father. It was a mission gone terribly wrong in China. Rumlow was actually one of the only survivors. Anyway. I want Maxwell dead. Because he's also the person that utterly fucked over my mom."

"Your mom?"

"Yeah, my mom was there. My parents worked in Shield since almost the beginning, more or less. They had me really, really late in their lives. But anyway, my dad was killed and my mom, who was being held captive, got a forced lobotomy, and well..." My voice trailed off. I felt my heart quicken as I thought about when my mother was finally returned to me; when she came home. And how she wasn't really my mother after that.