[ twelve ]

WASHINGTON D

WASHINGTON D.C.
america

____________________________

CORTEZ

I DIDN'T go into work the next morning. The hangover that came with the rising sun was enough to keep me tucked underneath my blankets for hours on end. I only left the bed twice in two hours; once to use the bathroom and the second to get food.

My lack of memory of the night before was a blessing in disguise because the only thing I do remember was telling Steve fucking Rogers that I thought he was cute. I don't think I ever want to see him again. I didn't even know where that came from. I don't think he's cute. Obviously.

Whiskey was the only company I kept as I nursed off my hangover. She sat at the corner of my bed and looked at me with those disapproving cat eyes. But I paid no mind to her and focused on the show that was playing on my TV; dancing back and forth between that and my phone.

It must have been close to six in the evening when a knock at my front door pulled me from my peaceful day. I groaned inwardly and waited for a moment to see if they would knock again.

They did.

"You've got to be kidding me. I just wanted one day." I grumbled to myself and stood up.

Whiskey didn't move and I hated her for it. Why doesn't she ever get the door?

I thought that it would be Steve, because who else would it have been. But I was wrong unfortunately and it was Patrick that stood outside my door.

"Hi." I said and crossed my arms. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see how you were feeling," Patrick said and scratched the back of his head. "I just... I did it all wrong with you, Cortez. I wish I could have taken in back. I should have taken you out before ever having sex with you."

"What is it with guys thinking that just because a girl has sex with them means that they are into them?" I leaned against the doorway. "Patrick, thank you for your gift. It was very sweet. But I don't like you like that."

He nodded slowly. "I just thought-." Patrick paused the sound of the stairway door swinging open. We both turned to look as Steve walked through.

He was carrying a bag of food and paused momentarily before pressing his lips into a tight line. Steve didn't say anything as he gave me a look and shook his head.

Patrick looked between the two of us while Steve walked into his apartment and slammed the door. "Did something happen between you guys?"