Welcome to the Court Of Dreams

For Y/N, life hadn't ever been easy. Mocked and ridiculed everywhere because of her feathered wings, she had no sense of purpose. Y/N was ready to go. She walked over to the edge of the cliff, swallowing her fears. One jump... One jump and she would be free. She bent her legs and tucked her wings in, and she jumped.

The wind rushing through her hair as she free-fell towards the ground was full of a song sung for a thousand years, and the shadows of the cliffside whispered to her as she fell. Soon she would land, and she would be free. Maybe she would fit in with the crowd in the next life. Still wondering, she continued her fall to freedom.

- Azriel - 

He flew through the sky over the river, lit up deep shades of blue, pink and yellow by the twilight. The slow, steady beat of his wings sliced through the silence of the ever-darkening scene. His shadows twined around him, whispering to him about everything they'd seen. Suddenly he heard one of his shadows whisper with a voice of urgency. He followed it across several clearings until he came to a cliff. Then he heard a song calling to him from the ravine. Like it was pulling him closer, he landed on the edge of the drop and peered over the edge. 

A young girl wreathed in shadows was freefalling downwards with her eyes closed, singing to her shadows as she went. He didn't think. He jumped off of the cliff and swooped underneath the girl and caught her, bridal style. 

- Y/N - 

Y/N was freefalling downwards and started to sing. Y/N sang a song of freedom, long woven into her magic. Y/N felt the approaching ground, and braced herself for- warmth? Maybe she was in another life! Y/N slowly opened her eyes to find an Illyrian staring down at her. And with that, she blacked out.

- Azriel -

He was carrying the female to Velaris when he felt something soft and tickly brush against his neck. He peered down at the unconscious female, only to discover large wings hanging from her shoulder blades. Just like his, except... feathered? If she could fly, then why was she falling? 

- Y/N -

Y/N woke up in a fluffy bed, with the male who had rescued her sitting in a chair next to it, staring at her. She sat up and stared around the room. It wasn't her home... But it wasn't a war camp either! Maybe she was dead? "Velaris," the male beside her said. "You're in Velaris." "Thank you..." She shrugged and peered down the bed to find she was dressed in bright colours, not the leathers she had previously been in.

"I'm Azriel," said the male next to her. "Welcome to the Court of Dreams." "The court of what?" "Dreams."

Y/N slid down onto her aching back and spread her wings beside her. Azriel stared at them. "What?" Y/N asked. "Your wings... Are they... Clipped?" "No..." "Then why were you falling?" "I-I wanted to be free." Y/N knew what would happen next. She would be put into some care program that she would have to escape from, and then she would lose all hope of acceptance in this strange new place. Instead, Azriel just nodded.

Hi everyone! This is my first fanfic! Please comment so I know how I'm doing! Hopefully, I will also release some Nessian in the future in a different book, but for now, enjoy Beyond the Shadows. The next part is going to be longer, don't worry. The next part is ALSO coming very soon. Bye for now,

- ❤️ Azriel