23/mary had a little lamb

chapter 23: mary had a little lamb
blake ren

I fucked up. Bad.

But I'm not good at facing my problems head on. There are very few people I'll seek advice from. One goes by the name of Molly and the other goes by Mary. Sometimes I'll listen to whiskey if it's needed.

They tell me it's okay to run away from my problems. We're all just horny over evolved monkeys sitting on a rock flying through outer space anyway so it's not like it matters what happens. We all die.

Even though I really fucked up this time.

But it doesn't matter. Mary has already made a very convincing argument that I don't need to tell anyone what happened. It would just create more problems. She and I made a pretty good pair for forgetting the ones we were already knee deep in. With her, I was mellow.

        "Earth to Blake." A hand waved in my front of my face and I flinched, blinking up at Riley who was balancing over the lunch table with her other hand.

"Dude are you toasted without me?" I blinked at her. My breathing was almost too slow to be considered steady anymore.

Slowly, a smile formed on my face. "Alan Kenneth brought cookies."

She pursed her lips, her eyes falling into the back of her head. I imagined her head as a red gum ball machine and her eyes were going to drop out of her mouth if I gave her a quarter. I breathed out a laugh through my nose, moving my eyes past her to stare at nothing.

"So that's what you were doing during fourth. Ever heard the saying sharing is caring?"

"Yeah."

"You little whore." Easton sat down at the table with a tray of lunch food.

I dropped my mouth open at him. Lucas told him?! Oh hell no. He's dead. Both of them might have to die. This secret shouldn't be just lying around in somebody's head waiting for it to be whispered in another's ear. I looked up to the ceiling of the cafeteria, seconds away from bursting into tears. Why Easton? Not him!

"That could be me right now," he gritted through his teeth to Riley. She started peeling at a clementine.

"I can just call him to see if he has any left." I narrowed my eyes at the two of them before giggling at their faces.

There wasn't anything funny about their faces. I just couldn't help but giggle at them.

        "Oh great so I'll just be faded while we go to US Gov' that's fine," Easton said sarcastically.

        I flipped my hair off my shoulder and brought my phone to my ear, glaring at him as it rang. "Be grateful or die."

        "Yes ma'am." Easton shriveled sadly like an unwatered flower.

        The call connected and after a beat of silence I began talking. "Alan," I began cooly. "Easton and Riley feel left out. Be a doll and tell me you still got some for us?"

        "Wrong number." The voice sounded painfully uncomfortable. And it was not Alan's.

        I sucked in a breath and pulled the phone away to take a look at the Caller ID. Asshole Bitch. The name right below Alan Kenneth. The name I changed Lucas's to two weeks ago.

        "Right." I hung up. I stared at the table for a moment, absorbing that sense of impending doom rather than letting it sucker punch me in the stomach and knock the air out of me. By absorbing it, I accept it and I can recover faster. I. Am. Speed.