29/sandwiches and answers

chapter 29: sandwiches and answers
blake ren

He was cute when he was confused. And my surprise appearance definitely left him confused. It puzzled me a little too. Why was I interrupting their practice just to be around him? Was everybody able to pick up on how my eyes stayed glue to him, dragging over every visible inch of him, the thick toned muscles his jersey tank gave me a view of, the dark pieces of hair hanging in his eyes, slightly damp from the perspiration gathering at the surface of his deliciously smooth skin.

I subconsciously drew my lip in with my teeth, biting down hard. I needed to release the stress somehow. It was driving me crazy. I let go of my lip and snapped out of it. I looked like a creep trying to sell fake fireworks to children so there was no need to get my hormones in a bunch when I was putting out nothing right now.

Literally nothing. The hoodie and the sunglasses were not doing me any favors.

"Who is that?" his friend asked, side eyeing me like he was scared for Lucas to be associated with someone wearing sunglasses indoors. And I felt that one for sure. Totally understandable.

Let's just say I looked like the kinda person girls should be cautious of when walking home alone. There was some major masculine sketchy pervert vibes floating off these clothes and the way I was looking at Lucas like he was a piece of meat was not helping my case. Anyone of these basketball players could tell.

I flipped my hood off for the sake of my own self confidence in front of all of these guys who thought I was some dude trying to kidnap their precious point guard in a white van. I cleared my throat awkwardly, patting my auburn hair down of any wild strands. It was the best I could do at the moment, the rest of my appearance would just have to do.

"Gimme one sec," Lucas said to the guys but his eyes were stuck to me, still surprised that I was here trying to summon him away from practice to drive me home. Very devious of me. I had the bike, of course. But seeing him in workout clothes with a beaded necklace on and piercings in his ears made me aware of how brilliant Riley was for putting me up to this. You couldn't get me to leave even if they set the gymnasium on fire.

He jogged over as I pushed up the glasses with a feather light touch so I could hide my wandering gaze down his strong muscled body. "Ren."

I looked back up to his eyes and made sure not to smile too coyly. "Kingston."

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" He leaned on his hand on the closed side of the double doors I was standing in so he was obstructing my view of the rest of the gym, or maybe the rest of the gym's view of me.

"A girl can't just ask for a ride home?" I inquired not so innocently.

"Not when they were MIA and ignoring my calls." A shiver zipped down my spine after his deep voice lowered so the conversation felt more private. I resisted the urge to shake out the trembles surging through my body. It made standing still impeccably more difficult, though. My hand almost shot out to touch him but I managed to keep them to myself. I couldn't just go around looking like an idiot because I got to be near Lucas alone for longer than five seconds. I had to keep my cool.

Right. Cool. I was going to stay cool.

No funny business, Ren. Just because you couldn't see the three other players past Lucas's broad shoulders doesn't mean they weren't there...listening in.

"Were you worried about me?" I teased, but quickly shut up when Lucas didn't share the same amusement. "Oh shit, were you worried about me?"