46/words left unsaid

chapter 46: words left unsaid
blake ren

I wrapped my hand around the steeping cup of coffee being offered to me from Tommy's outstretched hands. I sent him a grateful smile and brought the hot mug closer to my lap while he went back into his kitchen, leaving Lucas and I on the couch. The TV was on in front of us, but Lucas's eyes were low and distant. Not staring at anything. Completely disinterested with the world around him.

        I used my thin sleeve to wipe away the raindrops on my cheeks. It had been raining during the entirety of the funeral. Absolutely pouring. What I would have given for it to have snowed instead. But, rain was always fitting for these types of circumstances.

        "You guys want anything to eat?" Tommy called from the kitchen.

        "You hungry?" Lucas asked me. I shrugged. He yelled out, "Sure!"

        I moved the cup closer to him, indicating he could have some if he wanted. He grabbed my hand around the mug, bringing the rim to his mouth and taking a sip all while keeping his warm fingers around mine.

        "Is it good?" He nodded and I took a sip too. I raised my brows in surprise. "Damn good."

        One corner of his lips lifted. It was about all I could get out of him in the past week. But my heart still constricted every time I saw it.

        "Is it?" he echoed. He was subtle about it, but I noticed whenever his eyes took in every inch of my face like they did now. It was something he recently started doing. Like he wanted to burn the image of me onto the backs of his eyelids. I leaned forward and kissed him. "What was that for?"

        "No reason," I answered.

        Tommy came back in a moment later with some store bought pastries for us to eat with our coffee. I ripped a croissant and gave one half to Lucas.

        "What time does your mom want you home?" Tommy said to him.

        "She didn't say."

Tommy watched him. I wondered how he felt through all of this. After all, it was his mother's funeral we went to today. But I didn't know about their relationship the way I did with Lucas and his grandmother. Maybe they weren't all that close because he was handling it very well. Maybe he had been closer with his dad.

"Call her and tell her you're just gonna crash here."

"You sure?" Lucas said, his words muffled with food.

"It's late. I don't want you driving back."

"We took my car so I don't mind taking him," I offered up. The side of Lucas's shoe brushed against mine. I looked at him and shrugged. "If you felt like you needed to get back."

We had left after the funeral because his parents had asked everyone to meet back at their home for a reception and I could tell Lucas wasn't excited about going so I latched onto Tommy, asked him where he was going, and when he grunted that he was going home I invited ourselves along.

"I'll probably stay. I mean, you'll be closer that way too. Maybe we can go get breakfast or something tomorrow morning."

You'll be closer that way.

"Oh okay," I said casually, hoping I didn't have two hearts for eyes. I fought the smile, but my toes were wiggling inside my black boots. It was either that or I did a little happy dance right in front of him like an idiot. "Will anything be open if it's Christmas Eve?"