04- zonah • rain

••••

zach stared blankly out the window, vision fixating on the glass rather than the view outside. his eyes darted around, finding the largest droplet and watching as a imaginary race played out in his mind.

his attention was almost drawn away upon the sound of the door, but he kept his eyes on the water with a small mumble.

"who is it?"

with no response, he remained silent, thinking it was simply his mother checking in on him for what seemed like the millionth time that evening.

"just me." zach felt a gentle warmth press to his cheek, notified that his boyfriend was present. he nodded shortly as jonah glanced at the window.

"any race taking place?" he gave a small smile, and the corner of zach's lip lifted for a short moment.

"i'm betting on this big guy, here." he pointed at him.

"good choice."

jonah glanced toward zach, studying over the dulled facial features. his cheek had a faint rosy tint, body engulfed in one of jonah's sweaters.

"can i sit?"

jonah's fingers drummed against the cushioning of the window seat, currently crouched on the floor. zach gave a mere nod before looking at him with a small smile.

"did you win?" jonah asked, hand reaching for zachs as his thumb rubbed across the knuckles.

with a nod, zach released jonahs hand and reached out, fingers wiggling.

"hold me?"

"of course, z."

the younger sat up and jonah squeezed in behind him, legs framing zach's while his arms rested around the small waist.

"anything on your mind?"

zach leaned back against jonah, both of them looking out at the damp scenery.

"the rain isn't nice today. makes me feel worse then i already am."

"did something happen in school?" the older leaned his chin onto zach's shoulder, nestling gently.

"the usual. papers during first and second period, hiding in the janitors closet during recess— my books were taken from my backpack today, someone also spilt their water into my chair during last period so it looked like i used."

jonah frowned, sighing while his eyes closed. "i really wish i could protect you, but hey— it's your last year, so this'll all be over soon."

zach gave a small nod, looking down into his lap.

"i really wish the rain was nice today. when it is i don't feel as lonely; lost." zach began to toy with jonah's fingers, finding some amount of amusement.

"me too, z. i don't like seeing you sad."

"thank you jonah, for putting up with me. i love you." zach muttered, rosy cheeks a little more vibrant as the three words were foreign on his tongue.

"there's no need to thank me, zach, it's my job to check in on you. you're more important to me than words can explain. i love you, too."

••••

wc: 471
i'll be okay in a week ):
ily all an im kinda happy to say zach is finally in this book so yea <3
peace

+ i got inspired by a oneshot i read a while ago and im sorry that i cant remember the author /:
(if anybody might know you can message me and ill give credit !)