Chapter Twenty-One

Erick

I've been sitting in my car, utterly pissed off at my uncle and waiting for Cole and Kelsey to bring out Kendall. Does it really have to take all night?

When they finally walked out of the hospital, my eyes glued on Kendall and I couldn't look away. A flush crept to her cheeks as she looked up at the stars, and her oh so beautiful smile lit up her whole face. The conversation I had with my uncle slipped away as I watched the girl I love experience something she loves so much. But her face drastically changed.

She wrapped her arms around her body and took a few steps back, shaking her head. I straightened and hovered my hand over the door handle, wondering if she's hurt. She seemed to be thinking about something as she looked back and forth from Cole and Kelsey, and I let my hand drop to my lap. 

Her face twisted in pain and she said something to them before turning and hobbling back into the hospital. Cole and Kelsey stood far apart, sharing a look before Kelsey spun on her heel and glared at my car. 

Ah. crap.

She nearly ran and yanked open the passenger door, plopping in the seat and shoving a finger in my face. "What is your problem?"

"I don't have a problem. " I replied, resisting the urge to push her hand away.

"Obviously. How could you be such a crack wipe?"

I gripped the steering wheel with one hand. "I don't have a problem."

"Yeah, you do, Erick-"

"Get out of my car, Kelsey! I don't want to hear it and I just want to go home." I shouted, making her mouth snap shut. Hurt filled her eyes but it disappeared quickly before she climbed out of my car, slamming the door harder than necessary.

Kendall

I angrily ripped off the stupid clothes that Karen brought me from her daughter's closet when she was my age. I pulled on fuzzy pajama pants and a tank top, hasitly yanking my leg braces off before crawling under the covers and pulling them up to my chin. I laid on my side and stared out the window, staring at the full moon, wispy clouds slowly passing by it.

I barely had time to allow my thoughts to dig their painful claws into my mind when the door slowly swung open, making the noisy chatter of the hospital fill my room. I was too exhausted to even glance over my shoulder to see who was coming in my room. I was 100% sure it wasn't Erick, though. 

"Hey, Kendall." Kelsey's soft voice whispered as she shut the door. Closing my eyes, I let the hurt that I had kept at bay erupt in my stomach and chest. 

He really left?

When I didn't reply, she sighed and I heard her walk around my bed before placing a chair by my side and sit down. I used the small amount of energy I had and looked over my shoulder. "No Cole?"

She shook her head. "No. He went after Erick."

After Erick.

A small hole started to tear right in the center of my heart. "Oh." It came out as a breath. 

"I literally cannot stand him right now." She muttered angrily, pulling her thick dark hair into a messy bun.

"It gets old." 

Kelsey looked up at me with unreadable eyes, and I mentally kicked myself for blurting that out. 

"What gets old?" She asked, scooting her chair closer to me. I looked into her kind brown eyes, feeling a warm feeling of trust seep into my toes. I can confide in Kelsey, I know it. I can tell by the honest look in her eyes that she cares for me.

But just as I was about to open my mouth, the door swung open and Kelsey looked over my shoulder. Turning, I saw Dr. Sanchez shut the door behind him and give me a weak smile. "Hey Kendall, Kesley. No movies tonight?"

"Your nephew was being a jerk. So no." I felt a smile tug at my lips as Kelsey crossed her arms over her chest. 

Dr. Sanchez didn't laugh, however, and I knew something serious was wrong. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked him. 

He quickly nodded before flipping open a mailla folder and clearing his throat. "Yes. Yes, I am fine. Er, Kelsey, I need your mother to come and sign these before you take Kendall-"

"Shh!" Kelsey hissed, shooting daggers at  the doctor. He raised an eyebrow, and I mirrored him. 

She sighed. "Great. I was  going to tell you in a happier environment but I guess the surprise is out."

Kelsey smiled weakly at me. "You're coming to live with me."