Chapter One

A/N: A lot of the quotes throughout this story are not mine. I do not take credit for the things you've seen before.

~Kendall~

You make mistakes. Mistakes don't make you.

Yeah, right.

I knew I shouldn't of let Charlie drive. I don't know why I got in the car with her extremely drunk, her fiery red hair matching her bright red lipstick as she laughed and burped, laughed and burped.

"I can't believe you -" hiccup -"didn't drink, Kendall! You're such a looooo" - hiccup - "ssseeer!" She laughed again as she jammed the key in the ignition, missing three times before the car finally roared to life.

"Don't you think we need to wait a little, until your sober?" I had asked nervously. I had just turned sixteen, and I never wanted a license more until that moment.

Charlie looked at me and rolled her eyes. "God, Kendall, I'm fine. Besides, I'm not going back in there with douche-face sucking on girls' faces."

Now she was angry. She yanked the transmission down and sped off, throwing me against my seat. She blew past stop signs and red lights, and I flinched at cars slamming on their brakes and blaring their horns.

"Charlie! Jesus, slow down!"

She slammed on her brakes, and I caught my myself before slamming my head on the glove department. Charlie was crying, her chest heaving and she looked at me straight in the eyes.

"Kendall, it's so hard."

I gazed at her, my beautiful best friend, her light brown eyes eyes bright and her skin glowing. Then I saw a light. A light so bright I couldn't even see Charlie's face anymore, and then I realized what it was too late. I opened my mouth to scream, but it was droned out by a deafening shattering noise and then everything was black.

*******

"She hasn't woken up yet?"

"No."

"How long has it been?"

"Three days."

I heard the voices. They sounded faint and far away, yet I could hear them clearly. Still, all I saw was black and my whole body felt weirdly numb. My brain seemed to be shut off, and I couldn't find the energy to try and figure out where I was, what had happened.

The voices started talking again.

"What happened?" The voice, feminine, faltered as if she was crying.

"She was in a vehicle with-" the sound of shuffling papers filled the room- "Charlotte Royce. Apparently they were at a dead stop in the middle of the 1-10 and Washington intersection, and a semi truck hit the driver's side. . .Ms. Royce was driving. . .the car flipped three times and rolled upside down. . ."

The voice spoke too quickly and too long, and my mushy brain couldn't keep up. Silence filled the room once more, and I didn't hear the voices again.