6. Picking the perfect Christmas Tree

Michelle and Gabi spent the rest of the day cleaning the mess they have made in the kitchen, the cookies didn't turn out so bad as they thought in the first place. Adding melted chocolate made the taste of flour go away. The kitchen was spotless and the cookies were saved, after all maybe Santa will stop by. Stephen had just dropped the twins home from school and got back to work leaving Michelle with the two.

"Are we going to pick the tree now?" Leah questioned. It's been one hour since the girls were home and all they did was begging about the Christmas tree.

"You promised, auntie Mickey." Lottie reminded her.

"Ok, go pick your coats and we are going." Michelle helped them put their coats on. Lottie was dressed in green with a red bow in her bob styled hair while Leah was wearing red and a green bow. The twins were so perfect, big green eyes and brownish hair and dressed perfectly for the season.

Michelle held their hands in hers as they were slowly going to the tree lot. It didn't take long before her phone start beeping. She checked her email and indeed there were some good news about one of the promotional campaigns for a new TV series.

"Auntie, Mickey be careful!" Leah said.

Being so focused on her phone she didn't notice when she bumped into someone making her phone fly from the impact. She lost her balance as well but luckily the stranger caught her in time.

"It looks like we keep running into each other like that." Julian said still holding her in his arms. He was looking straight into her brown eyes. It made Michelle remember the first day she met Julian. It was back in high school and they were at a school presentation bored to death when Julian who was sitting in front of her rolled his head backward looking right into her eyes. It looked funny to her and she was enchanted by his eyes.

"I am sorry, I am so clumsy." She got out of his arms already missing his warm touch.

"I got your phone, Mickey." Lottie said giving her phone back it was still intact and Michelle was so grateful for that.

"Thank you, Lottie!"

"Who might these beautiful young ladies be?" Julian asked.

"Lottie and Leah, my nieces." Michelle introduced them to Julian pointing at each one and explaining to them he was a friend from high school.

"We are going to pick our Christmas tree." Leah said all excited.

"I see." Julian said.

"I had some free time and I decided to take them, see if we can find a tree that would fit the house." Michelle explained.

"I don't want to keep you any longer. It's a bit late for coffee anyway." Julian said. Michelle gave him a bright smile.

"Would you like to join us? If you are not busy, of course." She added the last sentence.

"Please say yes." Lottie said.

"You can't say no to auntie Mickey." Leah intervened.

"Alright you talked me into it." The twins gave an excited clap making Julian laugh. Together they made their way to the Christmas tree lot. Leah took Julian hand in her small one staying between him and Michelle while Lottie asked to be held in his arms.

"I think they already like you." Michelle said smiling.

"Warmed up to me instant, that's good I really like children."

They entered the lot looking at all the trees.

"What kind of tree are you looking for?" Julian asked.

"I am not really sure." Michelle admitted. "I think I will know when I will see it. I feel like Christmas trees are special, they are different for anything else you will buy. You can plan all you want but you won't find the perfect one until you actually see it."

"Looks like you are taking tree buying very seriously."

"I really wished for a magical season this year. I can't remember when was the last time, I really enjoyed Christmas. Work was always in the way since I moved, so I am taking it very seriously."

"Can we look too?" Leah asked for approval before her and her sister took running in the search of the perfect tree.

"What kind of tree do you have at your house?" Michelle asked after a couple of minutes still looking at the trees.

"I don't have one this year. I am actually thinking about spending Christmas here, and since it's only me I didn't see the point in buying a tree."

"So you want to be a Grinch this Christmas?" Michelle asked.

"Uh, not really. I mean I have some decoration up."

"I think you should get a tree. Before you argue with me, it's Christmas time and everyone should have a tree."

"Let's make a deal, if you help me decorate it I will buy one. What do you say?" Julian propositioned.

"Deal." Michelle answered." You know, tree decorating is a big task but I will really like to help."

"Looks like your nieces found the perfect tree before us." Julian pointed out.

"Can we have this one?" Leah asked.

"I won't see why not." The tree was huge but more like sure it would look sublime in the living room.

"And I think I will take this one." Julian said at the one near the twins picked. Michelle looked like she wanted to say something but decided against it, the tree had a big bald spot right in the front.

"Alright, I guess we found our trees." Let's go let Mr. Barnes know.

"You know the owner?" Julian asked.

"He's a friend of my dad."

"I see you found what you were looking for." Mr. Barnes said.

"She practically forced me to get one." They paid for the tress.

"Michelle was already determined to get things her way so I am not surprised. Look at you two how much you grow up." Mr. Barnes said handing the twins some chocolate candies.

"What do we say?" Michelle raised an eyebrow at them.

"Thank you, Mr. Barnes."!

"Dad will come later and pick up the trees, I already texted him. Same goes for the one Julian picked. Dad said will deliver his as well." Michelle explained. Julian looked surprised at her.

"Happy holidays and have fun decorating the trees!" Mr. Barnes said as they were ready to go.

"Happy holidays!"

🎄