Barely Breathing

Henry is driving back to the Doctor's office and parked his car. He was on a mission that he kicked the door of the office right open.

Hey young man? Just where do you think you are going The receptionist asked as she was alarmed by Henry's walking in.

I am here to see Dr. Hart.  Henry said in a short tone.

I don't see an appointment on schduele The receptionist asked, looking at the calendar. "So, unless you--"

She's my mom. Henry replied as he opened the door to his mom's office

Henry! what a surprise. Mr.s Hart said shocked, considering it was the first time she saw him in a year.

Cut the Bullshit! Henry interrupted

Why are you making this difficult,Henry? Mrs. Hart sighed.

I'm making this difficult?! Henry chuckled. "That's rich, coming from the women who left her family in a time of need and who called 4 months after she left to tell her son that she doesn't want to be his mother anymore."

Well, that is why I am here to change that. Mrs. Hart said, showing her office. "That's why I used my psychology degree to start this practice. I needed to--"

NO,  don't you try to make this about you! Henry yelled. "I don't care that you are back in town or whatever, just stay away from my friends. I don't care if it's in this office or out on the streets, id I hear anything, I will make sure you regret it."

well, can you at least tell me how is Piper? Mr.s Hart asked

Henry didn't feel like it but if it was the only way to keep her outside of his life.

She's fine and now a mother. Henry said without even looking at his own mother who looks in a state of denial now.

Wait, she was pregnant? Ho..Why didn't she say anything ? Mr.s Hart managed to blurt out

Yeah, she tried to tell you but you were to self absorbed on your trip away from me.

How could I have never known? God, I am a terrible mother. Mr.s Hart said as she put her head in her hands

Oh, Don't give me your crocodile tears and your poor sob story because it is not going to work . Henry rolled his eyes.

Henry, please don't do this to me Mrs. Hart said through her sobs.

I can do whatever the hell i want because like you said in that phone call a few months back. You aren't my mom anymore. Henry said in a tone of certainty

Henry turned around to walk to the door to leave but this time he was leaving with a smile on his face because he finally had the guts to stand up to the women who left him by himself when he was struggling to find the right words.

Henry, wait Mr.s Hart yelled out thinking that her son will turn to face her but he kept on walking back to his car."I AM JUST TRYING TO BE A GOOD MOM!"

All of a sudden, a loud screech could be heard from up the street. Mrs. Hart noticed a big semi truck coming down the block, and it seems that the driver was drunk and almost sleepy.

"HENRY! LOOK OUT!!"

Mr.s Hart forced out her arms, pushing Henry as hard as she could. He fell onto the ground a few feet from the direction of his  car, busing his arm. They had no time. 4 milliseconds later, the car hit Mr.s Hart. She fell onto the ground barely breathing.The car twisted off and crashed onto the sidewalk. Henry yelled at the top of his lungs MOM! and ran over to her, dropping his knees to take a look at her. As soon as he did that, he had to turn around for few seconds. The sight of her made him tear up. Her arms and legs were bloody. Her head seemed to bleeding pretty bad too. She was convulsing from the pain, kicking and breathing strangely.

He winced again, looking at his mom, but then told himself to move. He had to do something. He put his hand on the ground below his mom's neck, and slid it up under her head. Then, he sat down,crossed legs. He lifted his Mom's onto his lap,Ignoring the blood. Maybe I should say something on the phone he thought . Just in case

Hello? Hello? Hello? Henry said.

911, What's your emergency? Henry let out a deep breath. Please come help. I'm on Pebble rock Dr, on the sidewalk near the coffee shop . The voice on the on the other end. Can you tel me what happened ? Henry was exasperated. My Mom. She got hit by a driver who was drunk driver. The officer seemed to sense his urgency. We'll be right back there.

He looked into his Mom's eyes. They were still open. Mom. Can you talk?

She weakly replied, Yeah. her voice sounded extremely throaty and quiet.

Help's coming . Can you hold on?

Mr.s Hart's mouth quivered. She saw Henry's hand on her chest and reached it. He squeezed her hand tightly. He asked her, Why did you do that?

Do...What? Her words were slow.

Mom, you saved my life. If you hadn't pushed me I would've died! Tears streamed down Henry's face. Mr.s Hart held onto his hand tighter.

She said another hard to understand words. You...do...crazy...things...when...you're a.. mother. I...don't..hate...you. I'm...sorry...for leaving....you and your sister. She looked up at Henry's eyes. Am I ...gonna die?

Henry's eye's widened. No! You won't I promise! It'll be OK. After you get better, which will be real soon, we'll go to New York and Visit Piper. You'll get to see your Grandson who's Name is Jake Just like Dad. You won't wanna miss that, so you got to hold on. You are not going to die.

Mr.s Hart sighed. I'm tired

Henry cried some more. Hold on Mom. Talk to me. Tell me about .... what you wanna do after we get to New York.

Mr.s Hart was slowly drifting to sleep but she fought. She didn't really think about her answer.She just let the words flow out her mouth. I want...to go...to the...Statue...of Liberty. And...go..to....the Empire..state..building and be Happy. She smiled softly.

Henry said, I'll make sure you get all that stuff. I love you Mom 

Mr.s Hart smiled again. Her words were't slow now. She said this clean and clear, but still in a whisper I love you too.

Henry decided to believe her. He removed his hand from her grasp and placed it   around her back, sitting her up a little. Does that hurt? he asked. No she replied weakly. He wanted to do this, just in case. Just in case she didn't make it. Then He silently cursed himself for thinking this. Of course she would make it. 

You'll be OK, Mom!

She decided to believe him . 

Thirty-seconds later, the ambulance came 

Forty-seconds later, Mr.s Hart closed her eyes 

Sixty-seconds later, Henry lifted her in his arms and handed her to the emergency workers. 

2 minutes later, they were driving to the emergency room. And Mr.s Hart kept on drifting off....farther and farther away. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Major cliffhanger!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

promise your questions will be answered in the next Chapter .