Chapter 2

I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock.

I'm not going to school today, it's Friday and I just... don't want to.

Next week is Thanksgiving break, so if I miss today I get a eight day break.

I roll out of bed and quickly take a shower.

When I'm done with my shower I grab my backpack, but instead of my school junk I fill it with things I'm gonna take with me today.

"I'm on my way to school." I yell out to my mom as I walk out the door.

I walk to the Starbucks down the road and order a double chocolate chip frappuccino.

After getting my drink I walk to the park where I sit at the top of the play house and watch as people rush to get to work.

When I notice a guy from my school walking by I turn the other way, and pretend to be on my phone.

----------

After I finish my drink I walk towards my house. My parents should be gone by now.

As I walk up to my house, I sneak to the backyard and grab my bike.

I take my bike and go to the river about two miles away from my house.

This river has always been my safe space. Not a lot of people know about it, and I love it that way.

As I come to a stop at the beginning of the river, I get off my bike and set it down. I drop my backpack next to my bike and sit at the bank.

I take off my shoes and dip my feet into the cool water. It's the end of November and as much as I love the cold weather, it's Texas. It's not gonna get that cold.

I lay down on the ground keeping my feet in the water.

I lay there for awhile just enjoying to the silence around me.

Eventually I sit up and take in the scenery.

I pull my phone out of my back pocket and notice I got a text message. From Harry.

Harry: Hey, Evelyn. I know you have school. I'm not exactly sure what time your lunch starts but please text me when it does, I would like to talk to you.

I smile to myself as I text him a message back.

Evelyn: Hey, Harry. I actually skipped school today. But thanks for making me hungry when I haven't ate anything.

Harry: Oh. I'm so sorry. I was just... I don't even know.

Evelyn: I'm just kidding, It's alright.

Harry: Don't do that! I thought you were mad at me!

Evelyn: Lol sorry.

Harry: So why skip school? Are you sick?

Evelyn: I'm definitely sick of people.

Harry: So you're just taking a mental health day, kinda?

Evelyn: Yeah, kinda. So what are you doing?

Harry: Nothing really, I'm sightseeing.

Evelyn: How's that nothing? It seems fun. What state are you in?

Harry: I'm at a Portland Head Lighthouse in Maine. But "sightseeing" isn't actually SIGHTSEEING. We can't do anything.