~ Thirty-Three ~

Somerset House, Grosvenor Square, London – a few days later

"Charlotte, my dear girl. How are you enjoying life as a married lady?" Lady Susan asked with raised eyebrows and an amused smile.

"I am enjoying life very much, thank you," Charlotte blushed then smiled in return.

Susan turned to Sidney and grinned, "You are acquitting yourself admirably, it seems Mr Parker."

Sidney coughed slightly and bowed over Susan's hand, "I try my best, Lady Susan."

Susan laughed merrily and added, "Oh, splendid. This is going to be so much fun. If I may ask you both to make yourselves comfortable in the library. I will send in refreshments."

They nodded and entered the beautifully appointed room. Floor to ceiling shelving, every inch full of elegantly bound books. A galleried walkway skirted the upper half of the room. Charlotte's stay in Somerset House had been brief but enjoyable, and this was by far her favourite room. Long cased windows allowed the afternoon sunlight to filter into the room, causing the tiny dust motes to dance in the air.

Sidney whistled low, "I can understand your glowing appraisal of this room. It is not unwarranted. There must be thousands of books here. It's astonishing."

"This room allowed me to escape when things became too much. It inspired a dream to one day own a library such as this, but instead of hoarding it for myself, I would like to share the works with all who would wish to read them." Smiling, she found a seat amongst a cosy arrangement of overstuffed reading chairs.

A maid knocked and entered with a tea tray. She set it down on one of the occasional tables and left.

"Are you worried?" Charlotte asked tentatively.

"Worried? No," Sidney replied. "I am keen to get it over with."

Only a few minutes had passed when they heard the door knocker sound. Their wait was almost over.

A short while later, the same maid came to inform them that Lady Susan had invited them to join her in the morning room. Sidney caught Charlotte's eye.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Without doubt," Charlotte replied as they exited the room.

Meanwhile,

"Mrs Campion, how lovely of you to call. I am so pleased you chose to accept my invitation to further our acquaintance," Lady Susan motioned to one of the armchairs artfully placed around the room to encourage discourse.

A maid bustled in and set the tea tray and an elaborate selection of cakes and sweet treats down before them.

"I was most gratified to have been invited," Eliza replied. "I am always keen to embrace new friendships."

Susan almost laughed at her smugness. Instead, she smiled sweetly, "I'm gratified to hear you say so, Mrs Campion. For I have a young couple staying with me that you would enjoy meeting."

Susan rang for her maid and asked her to invite her other guests to join them. The maid bobbed a curtsy and left the room.

"So, Mrs Campion. Your own wedding is planned for three days hence, is that not so? How goes the preparations?" Susan delighted in making her guest squirm, knowing full well that Sidney had been absent from town for almost a week.

"Ah, indeed, my lady, although the groom has been away on business of late, so all arrangements have fallen to me. You know what men can be like." She rolled her eyes as if they had shared a jest.

At that moment, the door to the morning room opened, and Sidney walked in.

"Sidney? What are you doing here?" Eliza spoke, clearly wrong-footed.

"Mrs Campion," Only a fool would misinterpret his icy demeanour for any kind of greeting.

Just then, the door opened for a second time, and Charlotte swept into the room.

"Darling, I apologise for my tardiness," she smiled with exaggerated sweetness.

Susan bit her lip and looked away to cover her smile.

"It is of no matter, my love," Sidney replied. "Mrs Campion, may I make known to you Mrs Charlotte Parker, my wife."

Eliza, who had been watching this exchange with a mixture of confusion and growing unease, laughed shrilly, "Oh, Sidney, your jest is in poor taste indeed." She narrowed her eyes and regarded Charlotte, "Miss Heywood, as all of society knows, ran off in disgrace only a few days ago."

"As I attended their wedding but two days past, I think it may be your behaviour that is in poor taste, madam," replied Susan coolly.

"Sidney? Is this true?" Eliza stood and faced her former betrothed. "You married this slip of a girl, this ... country mouse, while you were betrothed to ME?" Her words reverberated around the room as her temper soared.

"I did," answered Sidney calmly, "However, due to your nefarious behaviour resulting in Charlotte's abduction, I no longer felt obligated to honour my vow." For good measure, he added, "I have married the woman who owns my heart and soul, and I couldn't be happier."

Charlotte touched his arm and smiled at his words.

Eliza tried again, "Whatever she has told you is pure fabrication. She has been panting after you for weeks like a bitch in season. I have known you my entire life, and you choose to believe her words over mine?" Eliza stepped forward, "Come, Sidney. All is not lost; we can arrange for this marriage to be annulled. We will have to postpone St George's, of course, but a donation will smooth the way."

"Mrs Campion. I shall spell this out to you again. I love Charlotte, we are lawfully and unequivocally married. Charlotte may even now be carrying my child." Sidney's quiet, even tone, belied the anger coursing through his veins, "There will never be an annulment or a wedding in St George's."

"You will be sorry, Sidney Parker," Eliza spat. "I will see you destroyed. Your precious Charlotte will be ruined, and your family confined to debtors' prison when I withdraw my investment and sue you for breach of promise. What will become of your precious Sanditon, then?"

"I should be very careful who you threaten if I were you, Mrs Campion. Very careful, indeed," Charlotte spoke for the first time, her voice strong and clear. "You see, it was not only my account of your actions that Sidney spoke of," Charlotte waited a moment for that fact to be absorbed. "Sir Edward made a statement, in front of witnesses, that confirms that you plotted and paid him to kidnap me."

"Are you aware of the penalty for kidnapping, Eliza?" Sidney spoke menacingly.

Eliza blanched, as understanding dawned upon her. The scoundrel, Denham, had betrayed her.

"Oh, and so you are aware, I have begun to drop hints in Society of your unstable nature. Soon enough, every door in the Haute Ton will be closed to you," Susan added. "Charlotte is a particular favourite of the Regent; did you know that? He would be most displeased, don't you think?" Eliza's gasped at the prospect of social ostracism.

"You will inform Society that we did not suit - place a notice in The Times or shout it from the roof of St Pauls for all I care, but it will be done," Sidney commanded. "You will ensure that not one single whisper of gossip reaches my ears.

You will take a trip, preferably you will leave these shores and make a life for yourself abroad. You will never come within one inch of Charlotte, my family or myself." Sidney's diction was clipped and uncompromising, "Do I make myself clear?"

"And if I do not?" Eliza asked bitterly.

"Then, Edward's statement, witnessed by a Viscount and a Baroness, no less, will be placed in the hands of the authorities who will have more than enough evidence to pursue the matter," Sidney replied. "Believe me, you have Charlotte to thank for my leniency. Had it been up to me alone, I would have thrown you to the wolves."