~ Twenty-Two ~

Later that evening, Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens

The carriage arrived at the small dock used by the ferryman to transport passengers across the murky Thames to Vauxhall. Charlotte and Alison stared in awe at the twinkling lights that could be seen from across the expanse of water. The glittering spectacle continued to dazzle as they made their way gently across the river. As they disembarked, the full splendour of Vauxhall was upon them.

"Well, they don't have anything like this in Willingden," Charlotte muttered.

Lady Susan laughed, "Have we found a London attraction that has met your approval, at last, Charlotte?"

"I'm not sure what to think," She replied, taking in every extravagant sight. From performers displaying their circus tricks to the sounds of fiddlers and drums, it was mesmerising. They approached the central walkway that led towards individual pavilions used by the rich as private supper boxes. Opposite the boxes was an impressive dance floor under the canopy of the night sky. It was decadent and ostentatious, but somehow this did not detract from the charm and magic that was Vauxhall.

As they settled into their box, a servant arrived with refreshments. The plush chinois furnishings were as elegant as any dining room. Lady Susan explained that this was a theme of many of the buildings and pointed out the rotunda, a domed building known for its opulence, as a favoured attraction. Alison was awestruck as she soaked up every detail, Susan imparted.

Charlotte's attention was drawn to the other visitors who meandered past the box in all of their finery. There was a curious mixture of aristocrats, the vibrant demi-monde and everyday folks. Charlotte was captivated by the very vivacity of the place. She could see the numerous walkways lit by flickering lamps, interspersed between dense trees and shrubs. There was magic in the air. She could feel it.

Several of Lady Susan's acquaintances stopped by to converse and none more prominent than the Prince Regent himself who, along with his entourage, joined them for supper. The conversation was congenial, and the mood was light.

Meanwhile, just arriving, Sidney and his party strolled along the walkway in equal good humour. Arthur was regaling the ladies with an on dit, and much merriment was had by all. Sidney's mind was elsewhere, however. Ahead, he spotted the Babington's chatting to another couple and hailed them. They excused themselves and made their way along the walkway to greet their party.

"Sidney, well met," Babington shook his hand and greeted Arthur and the ladies. Sidney and his companions returned the warm greeting and Esther excused herself to converse with Mary.

"I was pleased to get the invitation to join you this evening," Babington said in a low voice. "I have some interesting news to share," He continued in a quiet voice to prevent being overheard, "Esther and I attended an event this afternoon hosted by Lady Carstairs. Charlotte was in attendance."

"And?" Sidney encouraged.

"And, Prinny was there for a spell too. It seems that your beloved is trying to build up interest in a Sanditon investment. His Highness was most enthusiastic," He risked a look at Sidney, then continued, "Now, don't you think that a little odd, considering your own slavish actions to save the development? Indeed, she and Lady Worcester are being quite canny about it all by enlisting the Grande Dames and matrons of the ton to the cause." Babington looked expectantly at his friend who had stopped in his tracks, "Well, Sidney? What say you to that?"

Sidney was silent for a moment before he grinned, "The blasted girl is on a mission to save me from my own folly."

He laughed. A warm feeling infused his chest as he thought of the lengths Charlotte had already gone to, to help him. Hope. That's what this feeling was. Hope and love. Somehow, this situation would be righted, or he would die trying.