(001.) THE GIRL AT GRIDDY'S

(   ACT I  ━━━  " SEASON ONE "   )CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.
THE GIRL AT GRIDDY'S

       BUSINESS AT GRIDDY'S DOUGHNUTS WAS SLOW.

It was almost always slow at nine o'clock in the evening, aside from the occasional trucker or band of high school students, but Isadora had been promised by Agnes that as soon as she finished wiping down the remainder of the tables, she was free to leave. That is, she was free to grab a donut for the road and sit on the curb until her aunt arrived to pick her up. Isadora didn't mind much, though; she actually enjoyed just sitting outside, reading or doodling, or double-checking the items in her survival kit.

—— rule number 17: you can never
be too prepared

She liked her job, she really did.

The only thing she disliked, really, was the uniform; a cotton candy pink dress and half-apron, and she was required to have her hair pulled back in a tight bun. She couldn't deny that she rather liked the aesthetic of it, but she much preferred denim and sneakers.

—— it might be rather difficult to survive
the apocalypse dressed as a fae

But still, either way, she was happy.

Isadora grunted a bit, putting in a bit of elbow grease to chip away at a load of maple syrup someone had managed to pour over at least a third of the table. There was a good reason she never used the stuff in her breakfast. That, and it was far too sugary; oatmeal and fruit were the obvious way to go.

Suddenly, she heard the door open, and turned around to see an exiting customer holding open the door for a new one. Even though it was late, it wasn't too strange.