Chapter 9: Reunion

Your New Best Friend

Chapter 9: Reunion

(Y/N)'s POV

Several days had passed since Spinel opened up to me about her past. Today, we are walking home after work as usual. Spinel is wearing the pink scarf I had knitted for her in secret for the past few days. I know the cold wouldn't bother her but I felt like doing it so I just did it. I'm a little bit impulsive sometimes and she seems to like wearing it so I guess I did something good. Well, I've been thinking it through in my mind for the last couple days and I think now is the right time to approach Spinel about my plan.

"Hey, Spinel." I said to her who is currently humming a tune. "I have something important to ask you. I hope you wouldn't mind."

"Of course I wouldn't mind." Spinel responds cheerfully. "Ask me anything, best friend."

"Well, it's about the crystal gems which I thought would be quite a sensitive topic to you. I know you used to be enemies with them but how are your relationships with them right now?"

Spinel's cheerfulness seems to fade away a little.

"I tried to kill them and destroy their planet." Spinel reminds sarcastically. "So, nothing much I guess"

I give Spinel an annoyed look, not amused by her sarcasm.

"Okay, fine." Spinel gives in with a sigh. "All sarcasm aside, I'm not entirely sure myself. They said they forgive me but it's hard for me to believe that. I myself still felt guilty about what I did to them so I just assume they must still hate me."

"Well, that's not surprising considering how hard you always are on yourself." I remind her. "I'm sure they think better of you than what you think."

"You might be right but there isn't really anything I could do. It's not like I could just check their mind."

"You can't check their minds but I'm sure you could see something if you meet them again."

"I don't think..." Spinel looks at me suspiciously. "Wait, what are you trying to get at?"

"Um, nothing much." I struggle to get the words out. "I just have an idea that you should meet with them again."

"Why would I want to meet them again?" Spinel asks, outraged. "Aren't you already my friend? I just don't understand you sometime."

"Yes, you're right. I'm your friend..." But you deserve better friends than this unsociable freak. "...but more friends is better. Don't you agree?"

Spinel gave me one last dirty look before walking on in front of me. I try to talk with her but her silence stays unbroken. So, the rest of the walk is filled with this awkward silence that seemed to be choking me. Once we reach home, Spinel immediately goes to sleep on the couch. She's avoiding me. Of course she is. That's a very risky thing for me to say. Did I just mess up? Maybe I shouldn't have said what I did. Ugh, I'm such a bad friend.

The sun rises once again on another new day. I wake up with a mild headache due to thinking too much last night. Fortunately, today is my day off so I wouldn't need to worry about work on top of all this mess I had created. As usual, I eat my sandwich and brew two mugs of hot chocolate. I put one of the mugs on the table and take a sip out of the other one.

"(Y/N)!" Spinel shout from across the house, making me almost spit out my drink.

"What is it?" I ask worriedly as she come running. "Did something happen?"

"I've made up my mind." she exclaims with a grin. "If they can give me a second chance, it's just fair for me to give them another."

"Yes, Spinel!" I shout as I give her a hug. "I'm so proud of you."

She gives a little giggle as I release her from my embrace.

"Come on then." I say to her. "Get ready and drink the hot chocolate on the table. We're going to Beach City."

"Wait, What?" Spinel stammers. "Right now? Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm joking?" I ask as I take my bag and start packing some stuff.

...

We took the cab straight to where they live which according to Spinel is in a building called the Beach House. I paid the cab driver before the both of us start ealking toward the house. It is a nice looking two-storey house made of wood. It gives a relaxing feeling and is way bigger than my house. I realize that the nearer we get, the more spinel starts to lag behind me.

"Hey, it'll be fine." I remind her. "I'm here to support you."

"Yeah, you're right." Spinel said with a smile before catching up to me.

Not long after, we see them, the crystal gems. They are chatting with each other happily. The air is filled with laughter and happy voices. I've been researching about them for a while so I know who is who and the first one to recognize me is a tall gem named Garnet.

"It looks like we have guests." She says to the others.

"Oh, really?" Steven says as he turns to look at us.

I give a wave and try to look as friendly as possible. I turn around to see how Spinel is doing and... She's hiding behind me again.

"Um, can I help you?" Steven asks as he and the crystal gems approach me.

"Me?" I replied. "Not really but there is someone you could help. Someone who you might have known."

"So.., where is this someone?" Steven asks curiously, looking around the area.

Spinel gave my hand one last squeeze before letting go and coming out from behind my back.

"Hey." Spinel says awkwardly with an equally awkward smile. "It's me, Spinel."

All the gems gasp in unison, surprised at the unexpected turn of events. Spinel sees this as a sign of disapproval. Her smile fades away and she takes a step back.

Okay, this idea might not be as good as I thought it is.