𝑺𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒕 / 1

𝑹𝑶𝑾𝑨𝑵

Make sure you don't forget anything Rowan. I thought to myself as I walked around my now empty house double checking that I had everything. My parents and I were moving halfway across the country since my dad got a new job.

"You ready Ro?" I hear my mom ask from behind me. I turned around and nodded. I quickly signed to her. 'Just double checking'. She nodded and smiled.

I'm mute. I wouldn't say I can't speak it's just a matter of me not actually wanting to speak. My parents are okay with it and even learned ASL to make everything easier on me. "Come on.. Dad's waiting in the car" I nodded and followed her out to the car.

Once in the car I reached down and started to play with the strings on my sweatpants. It's something I do when I'm nervous. I'm not usually nervous to move since we usually drive to wherever we're moving to but since we're getting on a plane I'm a little scared.

Being scared isn't really my thing but plane's crash a lot so I have no choice but to be scared. I honestly shouldn't be thinking about all the things that could go wrong but I couldn't help it. So much could go wrong on this flight and there's nothing I could do about it.

"You okay back there Ro?" I looked up to my mom and nodded. 'Just a little nervous' I signed to her. She frowned slightly but nodded. 'It'll be alright' She signed back. I smiled softly and moved my gaze back to my lap.

The strings of my sweatpants were immediately back between my fingers. I started to untie them and retie them every couple seconds and before I knew it we arrived at the airport. I tried to calm myself down once I saw the planes but it only made my nervousness and fidgeting increase.

Everything's gonna be fine.. Nothings gonna happen. It's okay. I told myself. It was like a calming mechanism for me but sometimes it doesn't work. "Rowan? You okay?" I looked up at my dad and nodded. 'I'm fine' I mouthed. He smiled and gave a soft nod before wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

We had already gone through security and checked our bags in so all we had with us was our carryon's. My mom went to go get us food while we waited for our plane to board. "Your gonna love it in Texas" My dad promised me as he reached up to ruffle my hair. I pouted and signed to him. 'You messed it up' My hair was as flat against my head as I could get it since it's always just a wavy black mess and now it probably looks fluffy.

"Sorry kiddo"

Thankfully I was wearing a hoodie on so put my hood on to cover my probably disastrous hair. A few minutes later my mom came back with our food. She got burritos from Chipotle for her and I and got my dad a Coffee from Dunkin' Donuts since he didn't want any food.

'Thank you' I signed to her when she handed me my food. "Your welcome sweetheart" She grinned. We sat by a huge window and ate while we watched the planes taking off and landing. When I finished eating I decided to take a nap till it was time to leave but that didn't work out. As soon as I closed my eyes I heard. "Flight 137 to San Antonio is now boarding"

I wasn't happy but at least I would be able to sleep on the plane. "You ready Ro Ro?" My mom asked me as we handed the lady our boarding passes. I nodded. Ready as I'll ever be. I thought to myself as we walked onto the plane.

I had a window seat so I was able to say goodbye to Indiana. The place I grew up. The only home I've ever known. It was now time for me to start a new life in San Antonio. I made a friend online a few years ago that lived in San Antonio but we grew apart from each other. If I remember correctly she told me she was moving to Arizona before we actually stopped talking completely.

"You okay Ro?" My mom asked me. I nodded and gave her a small smile. She's the only one that's allowed to call me Ro or Ro Ro. I absolutely hate it when anybody else calls me that. Including my dad.

Once we finally took off and the plane was in the air I decided to go to sleep. If anything was to happen while I'm on this plane and I was to die I would at least want to do it peacefully. I told my mom I was going to sleep before I leaned my head against the window and closed my eyes.

The faster I get to sleep the faster I'll be in Texas.

,','