Reunion

It has been a year since I have seen her last time.

Last time, when we were parting ways, She had chosen to stay back there, in our small town.

I had no choice left except, moving on, to the City. Which is my residence for last whole year. I have gone through a lot but now it all seems worth, all that struggle, all those stress, that loneliness has paid off well.

Today I have everything.

Everything a man can ask for, A nice portfolio in a reputed MNC, A three BHK flat in a posh area of this metro city, A beautiful fiancee.

Then why I feel this loneliness? Why is this regret spreading over my mind and heart? As if something is missing. Something important that can complete me. That can give me feel of being accomplished.

I know time hasn't stopped, if I have moved ahead She too has moved ahead in her life. I have heard that She is getting married soon in coming months.

Why I felt this sudden urge to see her? I can't cheat on my own conscious. I decided to go back in name of our college reunion.

Just because I want to see her. I want to hear her voice, feel her presence. I'm not cheating on my fiance. She always knew that there was someone. And may be that's the reason, She refused to come with me.

She said it clearly that She doesn't want to feel an outsider or feel alienated. As She never said but she knows well that my past is always residing in me.

After traveling whole night finally I reached my old small town.

Seems like nothing has changed. The same old bumpy roads, same old side tea stalls around our college, same guys with a bit mature looks only.

Life hasn't changed even a bit here, in this small town. Back there in my city things are changing within seconds.

My best friend has come to pick me at station. For a second I felt like turning his bike into Her street just like old days. But I can't forget this is not our old life. I'm not that old college guy who used to roam in these lanes.

I don't want but eyes searched in lane for her home as if expecting something.

"She is not there, must be at college."

My friend comments patting my shoulder.

"What? Who? I'm just trying to skip these pot holes dude." I reply back to scape form any impending embarrassment.

"It's ok. You guys were best friends too. At least She still counts you as her best friend." His reply gave me relief and pain both at once.

Relief that She still remembers me, still counts me as a friend at least, no, her best friend!

Pain that wasn't I, a lot more than her best friend. Best friends don't ask you if you wanna pursue your dreams and come to a metro city with him?

Best friends don't cry when you turn them down. At least not as much as I had cried. Best friends don't call you like insane before leaving the town, expecting to see you, to hug you, to feel you, to tell you, how actually He feels about you. How I feel about Her!

She chose to unsee the visible fact which almost everyone had seen.

"Break!"

I come back to present as my friend shouts in my ear from behind just to make me realize that I was about to hit the bike with a parked car.

"Sorry." That's all I could mutter under breath.

I'm feeling shaken as if reliving the last day, I lived here. Shaken, broken, feeling betrayed!