Chapter 3

Ariana's POV

I managed to fall asleep on the plane to avoid any type of conversation with Stephen. Just as I was getting comfortable, I felt a gentle shake on my shoulder. "It's time for you to eat," he said, waking me up.

I rolled my eyes and sat up, trying to shake off the grogginess. The flight attendant approached and placed a tray in front of me with an attitude that was hard to miss.

"Bitch, I advise you to be a little nicer before I get up and smack that red lipstick the fuck off your face," I said, smiling in a sarcastic tone.

Her mouth dropped open, and she hurried off, probably regretting every life choice that had led her to this moment. Stephen chuckled in front me, clearly entertained by the exchange.

"Can I help you, babe?" I asked Stephen, noticing his unwavering gaze fixed on me.

"Eat," he commanded, picking up his fork and digging into his meal. Reluctantly, I followed suit, though my appetite was nowhere to be found. The food was exquisite, but the looming reality of our situation left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"When we arrive in Italy, we'll go to my parents' house. They're preparing a dinner party for your arrival. I have a stylist waiting there for you. Please be on your best behavior and not have an attitude," he instructed, his tone firm but calm.

"I think I know how to behave without you telling me," I snapped, placing my fork down with a bit more force than necessary.

"What have I told you about your attitude?" he questioned, his jaw tightening visibly.

"Let's get something straight. I'm not about to bow down to you and worship you. I'm not going to heed your every command like a dog. I'm not your servant. Since we're so-called getting married, you will respect me as your equal. If not, I can give you hell on earth. Now, excuse me, I have to go to the restroom," I declared, rising from my seat and leaving before he could respond.

After collecting myself in the restroom, I returned to my seat. The flight attendant approached us, announcing it was time to land. We buckled up, the tension between us palpable.

"You'll meet my family after you get ready," Stephen said, still buried in his phone, completely absorbed.

"Okay," I replied tersely. As the plane began its descent, a wave of anxiety washed over me. I didn't know these people, and the reality of being tied down for the rest of my life hit me like a freight train. I was expected to give this man an heir, a thought that made my stomach churn.

Once the plane landed, I gathered my belongings and stepped off, feeling the weight of my new reality pressing down on me. We climbed into a sleek black SUV, and I stared out the window, my mind racing. Damn, I'm really getting married, I thought to myself. I had dreams, ambitions, a life I wanted to explore. Not to be tied down at 18.

———

As we pulled up to the grandiose mansion, the imposing iron gates swung open to reveal a sweeping driveway lined with ancient oak trees. The estate stood like a fortress, its stone facade bathed in the warm glow of the setting sun. The scent of blooming roses and freshly cut grass lingered in the air, mingling with an undercurrent of tension and secrecy that seemed to permeate the very walls of the mansion.

Getting out of the car, I was whisked into the house and directed upstairs to a guest bedroom to get ready. The place was a whirlwind of activity, with people rushing around to get everything in place.

"I'm thinking about doing natural colors on you for your makeup," the makeup artist said, scrutinizing my face.

"Yeah, I love natural and earth tone colors," I replied, relieved that people around here spoke English.