Chapter 9 - Sleepover

Mabel knocked on the door. Ms. Starlight opened the door. She was a petite southern woman who looked around her early fiftys or late fortys. She had long, dark brown hair with a streak of grey at each temple, and sparkling, cornflower blue eyes. She didn't look or sound anything like her daughter. "Oh, you must be Sonya's friends! Come in, her room is down the hall!" She said, opening the door wider and gesturing them inside. Sonya opened the door just before they knocked on it, like she was very eager to get something done. "Hey Mabel! Hey Dipper!" She said excitedly. "Hey So-did you just call me Dipper?" Mason said. The walls were lined with posters. One of them Dipper recognized as a poster of the Gleeful Twins, which would be creepy if he didn't know she was a fan. The rest of the posters were mostly of a popular rock band. "The Mad Hatters." Sonya said, following his gaze. "They're my favorite band." Sonya said. Mason continued to look around the room. It was somewhat small with the door in the front left corner, Sonya's bed was opposite the door, and there was a mirror leaning against the wall about three feet away from the door. Sonya's Tiffany blue jacket was laying on her bed, which was the same color, but darker. "So, what do you want to do?" Dipper said, setting his backpack down on the floor. Sonya got a big shit-eating grin on her face as she looked at him. "Tree climbing." She said smugly. Mabel groaned, Dipper glared. "You guys should dress down a bit, and get ready to get dirty." she said, leaving the room. 

Eight minutes later, they were standing outside in front of that tall sycamore tree. Dipper had changed into a blue T-Shirt and Mabel had taken off her dress and put on a blue tank top and a black miniskirt. Sonya turned to them and said "you ready?". She started climbing up the first branch, and, reluctantly, the twins began to do the same. The climb was, well, little more than terrifying, but when Dipper reached the top, he saw a beautiful sunset. It was a blazing orange, setting fire to the horizon. The clouds were a contrast to the sky's bright colors. Mabel and Sonya were already up there, staring off. Mabel had wonder in her eyes Dipper had only seen once before, when they were much younger. Sonya was smiling, as usual, but it was different. It was truer, and her eyes matched Mabel's. Dipper joined them on the branch and watched the sun set. It was beautiful. Time passed. Eventually the sun set all the way down and they climbed down again. Dipper was disappointed that it was over, but he was also pretty hungry. Ms. Starlight made chicken patties and they were delicious. I cannot stress this enough. THEY WERE DELICIOUS. Oh, right, I'm the narrator, not a character. Sorry, just trying to get the point through. "Thank you, Ma'am. The chicken is wonderful." Sonya said. Dipper found it a little strange that Sonya had called her nothing but "ma'am" or "Miss" since they got there, but he didn't say anything about it.
As he was falling asleep that night, Dipper heard Sonya quietly singing to herself. She must think I'm sleeping... He thought. He decided to listen to the song. It was the creepy-beautiful tune she had sung before and was resung by Mabel weeks before.

Empty stare

From Sun-ken eyes

Will turn your blood to ice

She paused in the middle and, unbeknownst to Dipper, as he was facing away, looked right at him. Her voice didn't increase volume, but got more forceful. Her eyes narrowed as she continued to sing.

You know not

The full weight of

The atrocities that you've done

After Mason went to sleep, he woke up about three hours later. A figure he couldn't identify was touching him, pressing his chest, looking for...something. In the back of his mind, Dipper wanted to wake up, to confront this person. But he didn't. It was like he was spellbound someone was silently telling him "go back to sleep, no one is here. The pushing isn't real" He drifted back to sleep.

The next morning the twins were eating breakfast(scrambled eggs) with Sonya. "Wow. Your mother is a great cook. Where did she learn it?" Mabel said, turning to Sonya. "My...what?" Sonya said with a confused look. "Your mom. Cadence." Mabel said, putting her fork down. "Ms.Starlight isn't my mother. Did I call her 'mom'?" Sonya said, sounding even more confused. "You never said she wasn't." Mabel replied. "You live with her, and she's old enough, so everyone just assumed." Dipper said, chiming in. "I guess I should have mentioned it at some point, but I thought you could guess. We don't look alike, she's unmarried, and most of her friends and her doctor know she had early onset menopause. That kinda stuff gets well-known in a town this size." Sonya said to both the twins. "If you're not related, why do you live with her?" Dipper asked. Sonya ignored him returned to her plate. Mason wondered why she lived with her. Maybe she was adopted and just hadn't warmed up to calling her 'Mom'? After breakfast, Mabel and Dipper walked home. Ms.Starlight offered to drive them home, but they declined, since it was only a ten minute walk. "I had a weird dream last night." Mabel said. "What was it about?" Mason asked. "A person I couldn't make out the features of was patting me down for something...why are you looking at me like that?" Mabel said. Mason had a look of shock on his face. Mabel had a sudden understanding. She felt around her neck. "My key!" Mabel exclaimed. "What?"Mason said. "The key to Will's shackles! Do you still have yours?!" Mabel said. Mason felt around his neck. The string necklace that the key was kept on was gone. "No! When could we have lost them? We usually don't even take them off when we sleep!" Mason said. Then he realized. "Sonya." Mason said angrily "But why would she want the keys? She probably doesn't even know what they're for!" Mabel said. "Well, we can't go confront her. If she doesn't know what they're for, we don't want her to! She'll probably use it to her advantage." Mason said.

Hours later day turned to night. The day had been otherwise uneventful(except for Gideon throwing a kid twice his height six yards). Mason was walking around in the basement of Gleeful Manor late at night when he heard a small noise. He opened the door to the room it came from quietly. The room was small and dingy and we saw Will sitting there on a mattress on the floor. Mason hadn't known this was where Will slept. Will had his hand hand pressed on his forehead. His hand glowed a dark azure for a moment, then he took his hand away and held the light in his palms. It became a dark blue fire, and Mason heard a voice from it. Will was projecting a memory. Mason couldn't see it, but he could hear it. It was a woman. Singing.

"Hush now, my child

Don't cry~

The protection of the stars

Is upon you

Hush now, my child

Don't cry~"

Mason saw Will fall asleep as the song continued. "That must be his mother." Dipper thought to himself. Her voice sounded very much like Will's did, only it was a little higher and smoother. Dipper felt a little sleepy listening to the lullaby himself. Mason returned to his room with the lullaby still playing in his head. He fell asleep to the sound of her voice. He could't help but wonder; 

what had happened to her?