Backstory 3: Maya's past

DABI POV

"Where is it Touya?"

"I don't know I can't find it!"

"But we need it to defend ourselves against the fire giant!"

"I know but I don't know where it is!"

We were searching for something. I can't remember what, but at the time it was something important.

We were hiding from my dad; Endeavour. We were messing around inside and broke something of his, so we ran and hid in the wooden summer house-shed thing at the end of our garden.

"Oh wait! I think I left it outside when I went to push the window so it closed!"

"Okay. I'll go get it. Lock the door behind me, I'll do our special knock when I wanna get back inside,"
Maya ran out the door and I made sure to clasp the lock behind her.

I watched her head bobbing up and down through the window as she went to get the thing.

It was at the point she bent down to pick it up that her quirk had decided to manifest.

The shed went up in flames.

I was stuck in there. No matter how hard we hit the door to try to break it open. The heat made the lock stick; it wouldn't budge.

Ash started falling on top of me and smoke filled my lungs.

By the time anyone else had noticed the roaring fire in the garden, the shed had collapsed on top of my unconscious body.

By the time the fire was actually put out it was dark. I could see the shadow of Maya sat on the window ledge of the guest room she was staying in at the time.

I pushed my way out of the rubble and dusted myself off. I found what remained of the thing we were looking for left in front of what was the shed door. I was just about to pick it up when I heard the back door of our house being opened; so I ran for it.

I ran and started again somewhere across town, under a new name and face; now that I'd been covered with the worst burns of my life.

I was 14.

She was 10.

The weight of guilt she carried was nothing compared to what I felt for leaving her.

The closest friend I'd ever had.

A/N: please don't hate me for the song choice I was listening to it as I wrote this chapter and it just fits so well XD