Backstory 2: first kiss

Shinso's P.O.V

It was the end of our final year in middle school. We were 15. Just.

I'd lost a bet with my friend which meant I had to go to the end of middle school prom. Lucky for me, when we were first told about prom; Maya said that she'd go if I would.

She never expected to go.

"Guess where we're going,"
I said stood in front of her desk holding our prom tickets behind my back.

"Where?"
She asked, leaning back in her chair.

I slapped the tickets on the desktop in front of her.
"I lost that bet,"
Her eyes widened at the sight of the word 'prom'.

"Fuck off! You didn't! You never lose bets!"

"Well I lost this one. You're gonna need a dress,"

"You're gonna need to take me shopping then,"
She said. A smug grin spreading across her face.

And I did. I got her a black dress and some glittery silver trainers. Her hair was a dark silvery grey, so we went with that. I also had to buy myself a new tie so we matched.

When we showed up at prom all eyes were on us. Maya thinks it's because we looked good; I think people were just surprised we showed up.

We were forced into an enormous group photo in a gazebo in a little garden hidden from the venue. We managed to hide behind some taller people in it.

Someone was taking photos of us as we entered too, but we looked unintentionally awesome in them.

We sat down to eat with a bunch of random people and didn't talk to anyone but each other. Prom was so fancy, we both felt out of place.

After eating, the music started playing and we were allowed back outside. We were the first to go outside.

We sat on a bench together watching the sunset; and a small group of people started trying to get into the garden with the gazebo so they could sneak some cigarettes. They got angry when the staff let us through but not them.

The gazebo was a little walk away, so when we reached it the stars had started sparkling down at us.

"This has been nice. We've surprised people, eaten good food, avoided dancing and pissed people off. Checks all the boxes for a good night out,"
Maya said as she stared up and the twinkling lights.

"It definitely does... hey May your dad's picking us up right?"
As I finished asking that, I looked at her and saw she was eyeing me up and moving closer.

"You look great in your suit Toshi. You should dress up more often,"
She gently pulled on my tie and held her hand against my chest.

"What're you doing May?"
I didn't know what to do so I held her forearms and attempted to move back as she attempted to move forward.

"I'm trying something,"

"What something,"

"Something that we won't mention ever again if it doesn't work out,"
I gave her a confused look. It became a surprised look when she forced her lips onto mine.

It was my first kiss. Hers too. It was surprising that we were both pretty good at it.

She pulled me closer and I wrapped my arms around her waist. She pulled me back towards her, kept pulling until her back hit the railing of the gazebo.

That's when I remembered that this was Maya I was with.

I pulled away,
"This was a bad idea May,"
I looked down at her,

"Yeah... sorry Toshi I just thought..."

"I get it. And it was great don't get me wrong; but this is us. I love you, but not in that way,"
She smiled up at me and we let go of each other.

"We should head back. They'll be handing out the awards soon."

We went back inside and sat at the back like we had before. We didn't win any awards and snuck outside again to avoid the final dances.

Maya's dad picked us up about an hour after, and we fell asleep leaning on each other in the car.