Some Dumb Stubborn Martyr Hero Sacrifice Thing

A.N. Day 2 "(not quite) damsel in distress." and also Day 5 "prison/prisoners/captivity/kidnapped" of Snowbarry Week 2019. Takes place sometime in an undetermined time post-Crisis, making the assumption that all of Team Flash survive.

It was another typical Tuesday in Central City and Team Flash was up against yet another meta-of-the-week.

The team had been at odds over the last year through the unexpected West-Allen divorce. Once Barry and Iris finally got Nora back as a baby as they were meant to, their marriage fell apart. They remained friends for the sake of their daughter, but it was clear the relationship was over. The team was supportive of both of them, but it was still a little awkward from time to time.

It was his friendship with both Caitlin and Frost that Barry leaned on the most through it all. With Caitlin, he could sit and talk and reflect. Frost helped him get out of his head when it all became too much - whether it be through drinking or training or dancing. Though at this point, the two sides of her were becoming one more and more each day.

As the months went on, the two (three) became closer though neither of them would voice it out loud for fear of ruining what was growing between them. They spent most of their time together, both on Team Flash and outside of work. When he had little Nora, the three of them would go to the park or have a picnic or just spend time together at either Barry's or Caitlin's apartment. The two were in every sense a couple though they wanted to take things slow, out of respect for Iris and the team.

That all changed on that typical Tuesday, however. Their meta-of-the-week attacked the grocery store where Caitlin was picking up a few things for dinner. (Frost had retreated in her inner-cave, not wanting to deal with such a mundane, human task.) The meta held the shoppers hostage, refusing to let anyone leave and not allowing anyone (especially cops) to enter. Caitlin was corralled with the rest of the shoppers to the far back corner of the store - the meta having no idea that she had powers of her own. Luckily she managed to discreetly alert the team that she was in danger.

The store owner foolishly confronted the meta who lashed out and blasted the owner with a flare of heat that scalded his arm. Without thinking, Caitlin rushed to his side to check his wound. The meta lunged at her immediately and Caitlin's eyes widened.

"I'm a doctor!" She held her hands up in surrender, mentally willing Frost to stay put. Frost pouted within her, grumbling that she could kick the meta's ass in a second. "Please - just let me help him."

"Fine - but I'll be watching you." The meta warned her.

She set to work assessing the man's wounds as the meta paced back and forth.

~~

Barry's foot tapped on the wood floor of the witness stand, listening to the endless questions the prosecutor doled out. Ever since being falsely accused of DaVoe's murder, courtrooms made him feel uneasy. Unfortunately it was a necessary evil he had to deal with still being a CSI for the CCPD, serving as an expert witness.

The trial dragged on and on, going back and forth between Cecile's questions as the District Attorney and the prosecutors. Barry was anxious to get it over with, to go pick up his daughter and then go to Caitlin's for dinner.

He could feel his phone buzz in his pocket, but he wouldn't be able to check it until he got off the witness stand. He glanced over at Cecile and then Joe behind her, who was checking his phone and showing his wife. Both of them grew pale, staring up at Barry with wide eyes. He could see the screen of Joe's phone:

It was an alert that Caitlin was in danger.

Moments later, sirens raced past the courthouse and Barry felt his stomach drop. Sweat gathered on his brow and he fidgeted in his chair, feeling claustrophobic. He was trapped in the stand, unable to speed off in public.