Chapter Seven: Who Let The Dog Out?

Gotham

What was supposed to be a normal evening for the newly elected District Attorney quickly escalated into a hostage situation when armed men stormed one of the top floors of the building, frightening the guess as one question was on the mind of the leader.

"... where is, Harvey Dent?" The leader questioned the audience then individuals. "You know where Harvey is? Do you know where he is? Do you know where I can find Harvey? I need to talk to him about something. Just something little. Huh? No... You know, I'll settle for his loved ones."

"We're not intimidated by thugs." An elderly man spoke out boldly against the leader in the purple suit.

The man in the suit eyed the brave man and approached him with furrowed brows. "You know, you remind me of my father. I hated my father!"

"Okay, stop!" A feminine voice rang out, interrupting the lunatic who was ready to carve a smile on the cheeks of the old man he latched his hands onto.

There, he eyed a brown-haired woman and groomed some strands of hair to the side.

"Well, hello beautiful. You must be Harvey's squeeze... And you are beautiful. Oh, you look nervous. Is it the scars? You wanna know how I got 'em? C'mere."

The man grabbed the woman's head, forcing him to look at her.

"So I had a wife. She was beautiful, like you, who tells me I worry too much - I oughta smile more - who gambles and gets empty with the sharks. One day, they carve her face. And we have no money for surgeries. She can't take it! I just wanna see her smile again. Hm? I just want her to know I don't care about the scares. So, I stick a razor... in my mouth and do this to myself. And you know what? SHE CAN'T STAND THE SIGHT OF ME!! She leaves... Now, I see the funny side. Now I'm always smiling!"

The woman took a shot at the man by kneeing him in his manhood which caused him to back away, chuckling heartily.

"You've got a little fight in you. I like that..."

"Then you're gonna love me," brooded a deep, gravelly voice as they punched the man in the face before moving on to the leader's henchmen.

A man in a black-suited costume jumped the unsuspecting armed henchmen until all that was left was the leader whose face resembled that of a clown. A scarred clown. The leader retrieved the brunette he rambled about his past to and used her as a hostage as he produced a gun and pulled back on the hammer.

"Drop the gun." Batman commanded.

"Oh, sure. If you just take off your little mask and show us all who you really are, hm?! Ha, ha, ha!" The leader cackled maniacally.

He momentarily moved his gun away from the woman to a window pane behind him and proceeded to threaten to drop her to her death as the vigilante's choice of words failed to fall into his favour.

"Very poor choice of words," said the clown as he laughed heartily before letting her go, leaving Batman to pursue her so that he could make his escape.

One week later...

Since the rise of the man clown, Gotham had fallen close into one of its worst states in history. All it took was precise planning to execute the fall of Gotham's White Knight, and soon enough the capture of the mad clown would destine a long line of murder and mayhem. In a construction site, Commissioner Gordon was called to save his family from the clutches of a rogue Harvey Dent. He wanted him to suffer like he did.

"... stood up against corruption instead of doing your deal with the devil." Harvey spat accusingly.

"I was trying to fight the mob!" Commissioner Gordon spat.