~Chapter 55~

Aneira

Then I saw them for the first time. My parents…my real parents. I could have cried; they looked hurt and their arms and legs had gashes and bruises. I was vaguely aware of my friends calling out to their parents. I lost track of time as I stood, mesmerized, staring at my parents. They were staring too and we stood there for who knows how long.

My Mom looked at me with tears in her eyes and Dad was stunned. I was trembling, my legs were shaking and my teeth were chattering but I wasn’t cold or scared; I was nervous.

“H-hi,” I managed to say, shakily.

“Aneira,” they said at the same time.

I smiled and they started crying, tears of joy.

“I’m going to get you out,” I told them, “He’ll have to go through me if he ever wants to hurt you again,” I said fiercely.

Before anything else could happen, a Kangaroo, Humming Bird and Santa came through a portal. If the moment hadn’t been so serious, I would have burst out laughing.

They saw us and smiled. The Humming Bird introduced herself as Tooth and the others as Bunny and North. Pitch was enraged! “HOW DID YOU GET IN?” he bellowed.

“Uh, Globes, duh!” Tooth smirked, holding up a small, transparent sphere. Obviously, it was used for teleporting.

Pitch snarled and said, “You’ll never free them. I have an army of Nightmares and what do you have? A bunch of idiot teenagers, thinking that they’re heroes. Besides,” he gestured to the Nightmare Cages, “they’ll be dead by the time you defeat me!” he snapped his fingers and more than ten thousand Nightmares advanced towards us.

I didn’t stick around for anything, I started giving orders. “Be brave, they can only hurt us if we show fear! Danny, you and Skylar take the ones on the left. Lhea, Alice, kill the ones on the right. Logan, tell R.C to help. Holly, you and I are going to help free them,” we charged ahead. My hands burst into ice and snow and Danny’s turned to fire. Around the room, I could see that Lhea shot every Nightmare in her line of sight with her never-ending supply of arrows.

Logan and RC were tearing Nightmare horses apart; limb from limb, Alice looked ferocious, killing Nightmares with her Dream Sand. Holly was shooting and drowning Nightmares by pouring scalding hot water on them.

I hadn’t used my powers because I was moving towards the cages, where my parents were. “Mom, Dad, it’s okay, I’m coming,” I yelled over the noise. Suddenly, a Nightmare charged at Danny. Anna and Kristoff yelled “Look Out!” but it was too late, the Nightmare knocked Danny down and he was bleeding.

“Danny, get up!” Holly screamed worriedly, and he clutched the side of his face, where blood painted his face red.

All of a sudden, everything was happening in slow motion. My body lifted into the air, my hair started floating, my hands burst into balls of ice and I yelled “HOW DARE YOU!” at the Nightmares.

The whole room turned white as I froze every single Nightmare Horse in sight. It was suddenly so bright that I had to shield my eyes. Everyone turned to stare at me as I helped Danny get to his feet. “Are you okay?” I asked, gently cleaning his face with the corner of my shirt sleeve.

“I’m fine,” he smiled shakily, obviously amazed. “Remind me never to get on your bad side,” he laughed and I knew he was okay. “Just be careful, okay?” I smiled and he nodded.

Pitch came out of his room and he looked furious. “Impossible,” he breathed, looking at his frozen Nightmares. “It’s over, Pitch,” I yelled at him but he smirked. “You think I’ll let you go that easily?” he sneered and made a whole new batch of Nightmares and my friends were busy again. Pitch went back to his lair.