It's Midnight

I know I said this book is finished but this was request from NutterBoi since they technically "phantomfied" me but the ironic part is that my alter ego is basically this meme:

And instead of having me "phantom-fy" (I don't know what that means tbh) other people since I didn't really want to, they asked me to post my Midnight stuff XD

Maybe I will revive this book since KC S2 has been doing pretty well, much better than I thought it would when I closed this book before. For now, here's this!

—————————

    It was an urban legend, of sorts, that when the unearthly shriek of invisible death came from the sky, it wasn't just a coincidence. Phantoms seemed to  just appear from nowhere. They did not have places you could find them outside when the sense your insomnia. "They've come to slurp your soul," as some people jokingly put it.
    Others were critical of the joke and scolded them for so lightly putting the existence of the phantom's summoner. The one who sensed player's lack of sleep, not the phantoms, and sent the creatures after players.
    Becca did not believe that much. She thought it was a silly thought. She rarely had phantoms on her since she (unlike some of her friends) actually liked to sleep. In fact, she was heading to bed right now.
    She jogged across the field to where her temporary bed, chest, crafting table, and a torch were all set up at her work camp. Then she stopped.
    She was... already there?
    The duplicate of the blonde slowly turned around. She looked exactly like Becca. The same hair, the same face, the same height, a similar clothing style to her own but in dark shades of blue and black. Most distinct were the faintly glowing red eyes she possessed, instead of Becca's blue-grey.
    They stared at each other, speechless.
    "Who... are you...?" Becca questioned slowly. She had no doppelganger, clone, or alter ego that she knew of.
    The other blinked, most obvious as her red eyes disappeared and reappeared in the backlit, flickering shadows of the torch.
    "I am Midnight. I send all those who do not rest to sleep. Who are you?" she responded. She sounded almost the exact same as Becca, but with a softer tone.
    "Becca. I just... want to go to bed?" she questioned.
    Midnight looked to the bed she stood in front of and then to the sky. Becca did as well and saw the circling shapes of phantoms.
    Midnight looked back to Becca. "I shall leave you be then. But just because we look the same does not mean that I shall mercy you. It is for player's own good that I send them to sleep with my phantoms."
    Becca shuddered at that. She nodded. "I... I understand. We... we should talk again some time," she offered kindly.
    Midnight left the bedside gracefully, almost as if gliding above the ground even though Becca could see her feet take each step. Her expression did not flicker at the offer of friendliness.
    "We shall talk next time you need to be reminded to rest," the glowing red-eyed girl stated in her same soft-but-firm tone she had yet to waver from.
    Becca was a little sad at that. "Alright then. Goodnight and goodbye, I guess...?" she trailed off, unsure of what else to say to something that gave off an air of otherworldliness but was also herself.
    Midnight was fading away, stepping back and almost fading into the darkness surrounding Becca's work area until all that was left was the glow of her red eyes and the echo of the calm, gentle smile. The tiny sparkles of neon green disappeared from the sky above, leaving Becca alone, confused and a little disturbed at the entire thing.
    "I must already be dreaming..." she decided and pulled the covers over her shoulder, rolling onto her side and pushing the unsettled feeling aside to let foggy sleep take over.

————————

Word count: 570

I actually have a part two with less creepiness and more character development since this was the first time I was really concerting Midnight. I was asked to post that as well, I just need to finish it XD

I have reasons for why Midnight and Becca look the same even though they have next to no direct connections to one another but it takes a lot of explaining my character's lore which isn't something that I know a lot of people are interested in sooooo...