Chapter 42: End Game Part 8

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asked when they turned off the matching suits for their missions.

"Are you telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey looked around at the Avengers.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce asked when he noticed the man seemed upset.

He was silent. Too silent. Avalon raised her eyebrows, confused then pieced together what happened. She put things together too late. 5 years ago, when Thanos went to Vormir with Gamora, he came back with only the stone. It makes sense with the soul stone. You trade a life for the stone, and that's what happened with Natasha. She gave her life so they could have the stone.

Guilt immediately filled Avalon. She realized that Natasha's death could've been prevented if Astra and Avalon had gone to Vormir instead. Astra's death or disappearance would've been guaranteed no matter what happened. Whether it would've been from being sucked into the time stone with Loki or sacrificed for the soul stone.

They were outside by the lake, taking a much-needed breather. Avalon could see Steve was clearly crying. So many emotions were floating around. Everyone had reached different stages of grief already. Steve accepted it, and Bruce was angry. Avalon had tears streaming down her face, but she wiped them away as they fell. Once again, Avalon lost another mentor figure.

"Do we know if she had a family?" Tony asked anyone.

"Yeah," Steve answered. "Us."

Thor came over to the group, "What?"

"Huh?" Tony looked at him.

"What are you doing?" Thor asked.

"Just asked him a question." He said.

"Yeah, no, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right?" Thor spoke, "As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back. Isn't that right? So, stop this shit. We're the Avengers. Get it together."

"You get it together, Thor, you're a mess." Avalon stomped away to sit on the other side of Cap.

"Can't get her back," Clint mumbled as he looked at the water.

"What's he?" Thor looked at him, confused. "What?"

He said, "It can't be undone. It can't."

Thor laughed before speaking. "Look, I'm sorry, no offense, but you're a very Earthly being, okay? And we're talking about space magic? And 'can't' seems very definitive. Don't you think?"

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint said.

"No, that's my point," Thor argued.

"It can't be undone." Clint sounded like he was about to cry again. "Or that's at least what the red, floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay?" He raised his voice at Thor. "Go grab your hammer and you go fly and you talk to him." He looked around at the remaining team. "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it."

Bruce threw a bench across the lake, "She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to."

"We will," Steve spoke up, finally. "Avalon, you've been very quiet."

"Thanks, Captain Obvious, I'm sad, obviously, no, I'm pissed off. Besides, I know for a fact, I feel that Nat is dead." She said before her chest glowed orange. "And has no one else really noticed that someone else isn't here? Huh? Astra is gone! When the tesseract got into Loki's grasp, she was pulled with him. She's gone. And Astra and I were supposed to go to Vormir, but you told us no. Nat could've still be alive if we went."