chapter 5

A Senior Saint

When Barbara woke up her whole body hurt. She was tempted just to remain in bed and lay there in this soft heaven for the whole day. But after some time, Barbara decided to stand up.

Except it wasn't as easy as she thought. Barbara needed two tries to get out of the bed. On the first try, her body just gave in. Finally, she was standing on her own two feet.

She put on her clothes and walked to the door, opened it and exited. Barbara swore that wouldn't be her last visit in this personal heaven.

Barbara went down the stairs to give the Janitor the key back. Just when she turned around a corner she collided with somebody. Barbara remained standing under great pain while her opposite tumbled down.

''Ugh.'' Both women exclaimed surprised.

''So, you are the new senior. I wondered when I would meet you. Did you know that only 2 percent of the whole population has red hair? In the US is it 5 percent, though. The chance that two red-haired people crash into each other is roughly about 0.00562 percent.'' The weird woman said while getting up.

She stood up and tapped the dust from her. She was holding a computer in her hands and she was wearing glasses which to some degree hid her freckles. ''So, you are Barbara Croft?'' The woman asked.

''Yes,'' Barbara answered. How the woman behaved was odd. She was probably higher ranked than Barbara.

''I heard you also study Computer Science?'' She asked again.

''Yes,'' Barbara repeated.

''What should you do when your internal system back-up is assaulted by a Crimer-equation carrying a Trojan?'' The woman wanted to know.

''You should send a boomerang impulse deleting the equation which results in the Trojan losing its carrier.'' If the woman was impressed, she didn't show it.

''You know your stuff. So, it was true. We both know Computer Science is a booming profession. Why risk your safe wealthy future for a dangerous one in a gang?'' Barbara started to understand. This woman was the brain of the Saints. If she wanted to fool her she had to weight her words.

''My dad and friends always believed I couldn't do anything on my own. If I can roll with the Saints, I could show them that I am not the little girl they think me for.'' Barbara explained.

The woman didn't change her expression. ''So, the little wallflower? Is this the act you want to play? If you were such a spoiled brat, you describe yourself as you wouldn't have been able to beat up over 10 people.'' She accused.

Barbara was getting anxious. ''My dad is a little paranoid. He sent me to self-defense.'' Still, with the same expression on her face, the other girl responded.

''I think you are smart enough to calculate the odds of a girl who 'just' did some self-defense against ten thugs at a time. Let's say I buy you, not a well thought-out, story. Why would you want to climb up so fast? Just after one job for Shaundi you wanted to undertake the ritual.'' The weird girl stated.

''You are right. To show my dad it would have been enough, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could be strong.'' Barbara tried to get some sympathy from the girl.

''I am Kinzie Kensington. I would shake your hand, but I don't trust a girl who came out of nowhere, is strong enough to beat up 18 people and apparently has the brains to hack into any top-secret agency. I still don't know what you want but let me make myself clear. If you are trying to pull off anything against the Saints, I will find you and destroy you.'' Kinzie said and left Barbara standing.