; one

y/n

it was the start of a new week of school, everyone must be hating it, but you? you sort if loved school, the only reason being that,

you're best friends with jeon jungkook.

not just any, but THE jeon jungkook.

the one girls would swoon over, and the one that has guys admire him for it.

in this school, there were three 'ranks' of popularity.

the upper-class, aka jeon jungkook, and the girls from cheerleading, as well as volleyball. they were mostly known because everyone wanted their bodies, their face. they were basically perfect. but no, they're not the bad guys in the story. they're actually perfect, good grades, friendly. any guy would want to date them.

then we have the middle-class, which is where you belong in. not as popular, but still known by many.

and then lastly, the lower-class. it consists of those who are usually really quiet, or those who are so notorious, people put them in, and don't really want to associate with them. one popularly known is, park dae won, and he, unfortunately, has his eye on you. not in a bad way, he just, likes you...

is it bad? yes. because he seems to want to kill every other guy who i seem to like.

and we all know, this being a typical story, you, are sadly in love with jungkook.

does he know that? obviously not. why have you, when you're capable of getting more? and not to mention, he's been saying that he likes one of the 'upper rank' girls, named,

kim chae eun.

probably the most popular girl in our school currently, she has the perfect face, a slim but tall body, perfect grades, why would jungkook, who is so obviously perfect for her, give her a miss and come for you?

so, you're definitely not going to confess anytime soon.

the school year started only a few months back, and he only got her number early this year, they've texted each other, hung out a few times during lunch, but have never gone on a proper date because he doesn't dare to ask her.

and based on the title, yes, you were his second choice. it's not that big, but it's just small little things like only texting you back and having a conversation with you after chae eun has gone to bed and he has no one to talk to.

you sat up, slightly brushing your hair and getting up to get ready for school.

your usual morning routine consists of brushing your teeth, washing your face, then taking a quick shower to freshen up.

you walked down to the dining area to have breakfast with your family.

after all was done, you grabbed your bag, wore your shoes, and walked to school.

school

you walked to your locker, taking out the books you needed for the day,

"good morning~", someone sang in your ear.

"go away!" you jokingly scolded as you pushed him away.

he faked a shocked expression, "how dare you do this to your best friend!"

the both of you giggle at his silliness,

"stop it jungkook." you said, laughing a little more.

you took your books out and locked your locker,the both of you decided to walk together to class since the first period was english, and the both of you were in the same class.

"i think i'm going to confess to her today." he said.

you stopped in your tracks, heart clenched.

"h-how?" you stutter.

if he confesses, it'll mean that they'll definitely be together because who rejects the jungkook? and after, you'll have no chance.

he looks at you, a little confused as to why you're acting this way.

"i'm going to bring her out for lunch after school, bring her to the park, and confess!" he excitedly said.

"oh! and i bought this over the weekends, it's pretty right? i'm going to give it to her later." he continued as her brought out a small box and opened it, revealing a gorgeous crystal necklace.

"wow... that's, r-really pretty." you whisper, not knowing how to react, you faked a smile.

seeing how much effort her put in for her makes your heart flutter.

'if only he would do that for me.'

"i know, i spent my whole saturday thinking on what i should get her! i'm really nervous though, she won't reject me right?"

"of course not! i mean, i wouldn't reject any guy who put in so much effort to show me how much he loves me. you got this kook, she definitely likes you back." you reassured him, despite your already breaking heart, breaking even more.

"hopefully not, can i come to your house after? just so i can tell you about what happens. if it ends bad, at least i have you to comfort me!" he said, flashing his signature smile.

"y-yea... of course, we're best friends." you tried sounding excited, not sure if he believed it or not, but you hoped he did.

the both of you walked to class, jungkook just kept telling you about how excited but nervous he felt. you honestly didn't have much to say. you wanted to be happy for him, but every time you thought of how you'll only ever be his second choice, the one he'll only come to when he has problems, and need comforting.

you wanted to be the one he thinks of all the time, the one that makes his heart flutter when he thinks of you, the one that he'll bring on dates, the one that he loves.

you wanted to be her, kim chae eun.

-

a/n: lany's let me know inspired this story~ please go listen to their songs, they're all really good 🥺