Chapter Eight

Damien Karim

Commander of the Egis cruiser Kraski

I watch her in awe, she didn't even seem affected by the pain of having the skin off her arm cut off so that implants could be placed inside, I stare unblinkingly as Tyron cuts small pieces of her arm muscle out and replaces them with the tiny pieces of technology, I had never seen the true reality to the miraculous technology that the Drakkon Empire possessed, they truly didn't seem to have a rival, at least not one that was as advanced as them. I was awed by her strength, even me, battle scarred from many fights and proficient in handling bodily pain and continuing forward, I would have struggled with this. It was one thing to be stabbed or sliced open with a plasma blade, it was another thing to sit calmly staring at the stars while someone sliced the skin off of your arm.

I glance toward Titus, wondering how the Lord was reacting to this procedure, was he relishing in her pain or anxious for it to stop, but when he looks at Titus, he was none of those things. No, he was staring at her with a great reverence, proving that I was not the only one who felt something around her, she had this sort of energy to her that made people want to help her, to serve her needs. I still wasn't sure what that really was, being a Spliced meant that I wasn't privy to some information others of my station were, yet another reason to leave the Egis.

I did not know much about the Drako species, they were a relatively secretive species and the royal family of Drakkon was more like a different species entirely, while the Drako were normally rather civilized, the Drakkon bloodline were more in tune to animals, having a strong animalistic side in order to rule and protect their people. Even then I wasn't sure if Alessandra was anything truly like her relatives in the first place. In fact, I hope she is nothing like her relatives, they were not fit to rule, all to spoiled and focused on their own selfish gain, none of them having ever lived through a single day of suffering in their entire lives. They knew nothing of sacrifice, nothing of pain, the spliced as well as their common people would be merely tools to be manipulated, without care of the number of deaths that could follow such actions.

She was breathtaking with the double moons light shining out from behind her, outlining her form, she looked like an avenging goddess come down from the stars to wreak havoc among the Entitled who knew nothing of the consequences of their mistakes, at least none that didn't immediately affect them. This kingdom, no it wasn't a kingdom, it was much larger than that, this Empire needed someone who would be able to rule over all people, the poor and common people, as well as the rich and Entitled, someone who wouldn't be afraid of punishing one of the Entitled.

The scales of justice were skewed and their balance needed to be righted, the Entitled always got away with not even a slap on the wrist but a small tap, where as someone who committed the same crimes who was common was most likely put to death. The laws were strict among the known galaxies, some laws differed depending on the territory but there were a few that were the same no matter what Empire you were in. The Entitle broke any rule they saw fit and got away with it, the common people were stifled under the same rules and punished harshly for breaking them, the spliced who were seen as a lesser people even more so. Our every move was monitored and recorded, a single mistake could mean an electro-whipping or death, those of us among the Egis thought we had escaped the slavery of our masters but the Egis were no better if only paying us for our work but taking all the money to pay off the debt they caused buying us from our previous masters, and eating and working for them only incurred more debts until you would never be able to pay off your debt in ten lifetimes if you even lived that long.

We needed a new leader, someone who wasn't afraid to take action, someone who wasn't afraid to do what was right, and as I looked at her Majesty, I hoped she would be the person we needed, because I would be afraid of her power and strength if she wasn't.