Chapter Two: Zayn

Chapter Two: Zayn

When Id first arrived at the hospital I'd wanted to check on both Luci and Ariel. I knew from the time I laid eyes on her Ariel didn't want to speak to me. It wasn't like I could blame her but it still made me mad. I decided I'd leave her alone at least until I'd visited with Luci first. I hadn't been ready to see her condition. It made me sick and made me want to go pummel Kenneth myself.

I may have been scared of him as a child but I wasn't now. He'd always hurt both Luci and Ariel and even though they weren't even in his house anymore he'd managed to do it again. A bandage was on her head and her face was badly bruised. It was almost like seeing Mom laying there. I could honestly kill him for doing this to her. She didn't deserve to have this happen.

I'd been afraid she'd be angry to see me. I'd done enough to hurt her daughter after all. However, Alec had readily welcomed me into the room. I'd actually wondered if he would treat me differently for what I'd done to Ariel but he didn't. I'd walked over to the edge of the bed to see her.

"Luci it's Zayn," Alec told her.

"Zayn I'm glad you're here," she said moving her hand just slightly and I reached out taking it.

"I wouldn't not be here."

"You can be such a sweet boy when you want to be. Evelyn would be so proud."

"I don't know about that but thanks," I said.

Her words struck something within me bit I doubted Mom would be proud of anything I'd done. Especially how I'd treated Ariel. From where she hit her head it was possible Luci didn't even remember all that I'd done. In any case, I didn't really want her to. Her being disappointed in me was almost too painful to think about. She was like a second mom to me after all.

"Before you leave will you speak to Ariel?" she requested.

"You want me to speak to her?"

"She'd like to talk to you. I know she would."

"I'll try," I promised.

"Thank you."

I hadn't known why she'd ask me something like that unless she was trying to get me to apologize to her. She'd be right in that I needed to. Or if she was hoping we'd reconcile in some way I didn't think that was possible. It was all up to Ariel and she was angry with me. I'd decided I couldn't handle seeing Luci so weak like this so I decided to let someone else come in to see her.

There were a lot of people who still wanted to. I'd almost decided not to speak to Ariel. Especially since she was talking to Miles but then two things stopped me. First, of all, I wanted to speak to Ariel and the thought of interrupting Miles from talking to her was too good to pass up. Secondly, I didn't want to let Luci down since she'd asked me to talk to her. So I had but naturally, it ended in an argument. Leave it to her and leave it to me. I wasn't shocked.

A lot of what happened was my fault. She accused me of trying to make her feel sorry for me by talking about my Mom. I never wanted anyone to feel sorry for me. Then she'd reminded me I wasn't the most important person in the world which I also knew. I'd said some hurtful things to her about having problems which I shouldn't have said but did and it hurt her feelings.

I truly didn't enjoy hurting her feelings and I knew my words went too far. As we'd really started to argue I made a smart decision for once by ending the conversation and refusing to argue with her. Like I ever turned down an argument. If I couldn't use my fist I had to use my mouth. Knowing us we'd probably argue again soon if she ever talked to me again. If she wasn't talking to Miles.