Chapter 8

Song(s) for the chapter:

• my strange addiction by Billie Eilish

Mark squats so that's he's level with Jungkook. "Any last words you Iron Man wannabe?"

"Oh man, holy shit."

The blade is pressed against Jungkook's throat. Mark's free hands grips his hair. "Stop fucking around!" Mark's fingers tighten around the handle of the knife; his breathing quickens. So does Jungkook's.

The roar of the waterfall was already deafening, but now it's almost jeering. It's as if the sound is building the climax to what will ultimately become the deaths of Jungkook's and I. You wouldn't believe that we were both entranced by this same waterfall earlier today.

Just earlier today I was chasing Jungkook down for having an embarrassing picture of me drooling in my sleep. Funny, but embarrassing. Now, I can't even move.

Just hours ago butterflies fluttered in my stomach at Jungkook's Iron Man related references. Now my stomach is heavy with regret from dragging him into this situation.

I can't let him die because of my stupid decision to think of this all as a prank.

"Mark?"

Said boy continues to grip the knife.

"You're mad at me, not Jungkook. I am the one that couldn't provide the help that you asked for."

"So what is your point?"

The next two words are spoken without hesitation. "Punish me."

"What?" Jungkook squeaks.

Mark tugs at his hair as a warning.

"Punish me, Mark." I repeat. "Let Jungkook go. I disappointed you, not him."

A smirk appears on his face. "Hmm... there's the Mochi that everyone knows and loves." His grip of the knife listens and that's all that Jungkook needs to spring into action.

Jungkook uses both hands to grab at the knife and yanks it out of Mark's hands. He tosses it away.

"What the f-"

Jungkook turns to face Mark and a fight ensues. Mark attempts to charge towards the knife but Jungkook pulls him to the ground. There's a punch, followed by another punch, and another. The two men continue to brawl as I sit here helpless.

I squeeze my eyes shut. I can't watch this violence before me. The sounds of grunts, punches, and kicks surround me.

I have to imagine myself elsewhere. This is all too much for me. This is all my fault. I was so caught up in social media that I wasn't aware of the things going on around me.

My breathing quickens.

I brought this on myself.

I feel hot despite wearing these shorts.

This could be the end.

I can't deal with this.

"Aaaaah!" Jungkook cries out.

Then silence follows.

My heartbeat quickens. Is Jungkook hurt? Or is he dead? I'm too afraid to open my eyes to find out.

"Jungkook?"

There's no verbal response, just the sound of heavy breathing.

"Jungkook," I try again. Still nothing.

My body trembles. If I open my eyes I'll be faced with the sight of my lifeless best friend. The friend that has always been there for me. The friend that would send gentle smiles my way and share his world with me.

And I'll be full of regret seeing him knowing that he never had the chance to tell someone "I love you 3,000."

But this was all brought on by me. I need to look at the face of the friend that gave so much for me, including his life.

The friend that gave me butterflies because I was too shy to tell him I loved him 3,000.

I need to look at him one last time before Mark comes to end me too.

I open my eyes.

My throat feels constricted as I choke on a sob. I can't believe the sight before me.

Jungkook, who is wide eyed, sits a few feet away from an unconscious Mark.

Mark is dead.

So...Mark maybe isn't "dead."

"