54: The Day of Black Sun

Sokka and Katara were both in their Water Tribe fighting gear when Aang got up. Aang was in the greatest mood of his life as he came jumped up and landed between Toph and Tu Cho. "Top of the morning, Momo!" he said as Momo scurried to his shoulder.

Katara smiled. "Sounds like you slept well. "

"Like a baby moose-lion. I'm ready," Aang took up an attack position, "to face the Fire Lord. "

Toph asked, "So what's your strategy for taking him down? Going to get your glow on and hit him with a little Avatar State action?"

Aang looked down dejectedly, "I can't. When Azula shot me with lightning, my 7th chakra was locked, cutting off my connection to all the cosmic energy in the Universe. "

Toph shook her head. "You know what I just? heard Blah blah spiritual mumbo jumbo blah blah something about Space."

Tu Cho stood beside Sokka as fog began to roll in. Katara asked, "Oh no. Sokka, do you think the fog will delay the invasion?"

"No," Sokka put his arm around Tu Cho, "that is the invasion."

"Then go greet them," Tu Cho said, trying to sound upbeat but her nerves were just about fried.

---

Tu Cho gave the last of the prepared food to the Water Tribe warriors and Earth Kingdom soldiers as Sokka walked out onto the platform. "Good morning, everyone!" he said. He tripped and started to pick up his fallen scrolls hurriedly. "Uhm... So, as you know today we're invading the Fire Nation. I mean I know you know that." He laughed nervously. "Because otherwise why else would you be here Anyway..." He dropped more scrolls. He picked them up and places it on a board. "The Fire Lord's palace is here." He pointed to the map. "Uh no, uh wait," be began flipping through maps, he found the right one, beginning to get flustered. "It's here and uh there's an eclipse today and Aang's going to fight the Fire Lord," panic entered his face, "and the firebenders won't have any fire to use so that's good for us and uhm..." he looked around at the croud. "I'm sorry, let me start at the beginning." Sokka looked down to compose himself.

"He's getting too worked up," Katara whispered to Tu Cho.

"He'll be okay. Public speaking isn't easy."

Katara looked at Tu Cho with a little bit of worry on her face but listened as Sokka spoke again.

Sokka rapidly said, "Katara and I discovered Aang frozen in an iceberg. Now I didn't like Aang at first but I grew to love him over time. Then we went over to the Southern Air Temple where Aang used to live and then we met Suki and Tu Cho, who are Kyoshi warriors. Suki made me dress like a woman and then Tu Cho kissed me..."

Katara tuned quietly to Aang. "Wow, he says beginning, he means beginning, beginning."

Sokka continued "...and then Aang's friend was a crazy old man and then Katara got Haru arrested and then now he's grown a mustache and if you look in the front row you can see him..."

"Thank you, Sokka." Hakoda placed a reassuring hand on Sokka's shoulder. "It's okay, why don't you take a break?" Sokka looked rather disappointed and obliged. "Let me just clarify a few points for everyone. Today is the Day of Black Sun and I want to thank you all for your self-sacrifice and your courage. They're two steps to the invasion. A naval stage and then a land stage. To gain sea access to the Fire Nation capital, we have to get pass our first major obstacle here. The Great Gates of Azulon. Next, we hit the land and we hit hard. We must fight past their battlements and secure the plaza tower. Once we do that, it's up to the royal palace. At that point, the eclipse will begin."

Boulder raised a hand to ask a question. "Excuse me, The Boulder is confused. Isn't the point to invade during the eclipse? When the firebenders are powerless?"