74: Siblings

"Little cold tonight, isn't it?" Sokka asked as Tu Cho walked back to the campsite from using the bathroom.

"I thought you water tribe folks liked the cold," Zuko said.

Tu Cho sat beside her husband just in time for him to stand up. "Yeah. Maybe we've been away from home for too long." Sokka took a blanket from his bed roll and covered his sister and Momo. He came back to the fire side with a content smile.

Tu Cho leaned against her husband. "Kita will love the water tribe..." Tu Cho scribbled down the vision she'd had of her daughter at the age of eight throwing snowballs at Sokka in her new journal. She'd started keeping track of the visions again, wanting to record the stories, happy and sad, for her future family.

"After all those snowballs to your forehead," Zuko commented, glancing at Katara, "you still look out for her."

Sokka gave a half laugh as he put his arm around Tu Cho. "I throw witticisms at her. She throws snowballs at me. The relationship works."

"Seems to me like you're getting the short end of that deal," Zuko said.

"Katara is my sister." Sokka looked over Tu Cho's head on his shoulder. "When it comes to her, I don't mind getting the short end of the deal."

Zuko looked back at Azula who was shaking. "Do you have another one of those blankets?" Tu Cho kissed her husband's cheek when Zuko looked away and stood up.

"Sure." Sokka leaned grabbed an extra blanket and stood up as Tu Cho disappeared wordlessly into the dark forest. While Zuko's back was turned, Sokka disappeared too.

***

"I have proof!" Azula screamed at she grabbed Tu Cho's arm, waking up suddenly.

"Woah," Tu Cho said, staring at her sister. "Are you okay?"

Sokka threw his boomerang and it clanked against her metal wrist plate. "Get your hands off her, Azula!" Azula rolled her eyes and knocked the boomerang away, having already released her sister. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Sokka," Tu Cho said calmingly. "She just woke suddenly and caught me by surprise."

"The letter! It's gone!" Azula's fist lit with blue royal fire. "Where is Zuko?"

***

"Why, Azula?" Zuko yelled, holding Azula at the edge of a cliff as Tu Cho ran toward them. "Why'd our relationship have to be like this?"

"Was this her plan all along?" Azula asked. "Is she whispering in your ear right now to throw me over the cliff?" Tu Cho dropped to her knees, helplessly watching the interaction between her siblings, feeling powerless to stop anything that was happening before her. Talking was her best tactic but Azula couldn't be talked down.

"You're not making any sense!" Zuko said desperately.

"All my life," Azula yelled, "she's kept me from my true destiny! Don't deny it, Zuko! She told you I had the letter hidden in my boot! She told you to wait until I was asleep to-" Azula stopped yelling. "Wait a minute. You've had the letter all night. Why didn't you burn it when you had the chance?" Zuko put Azula down and turned toward his older twin, looking as hopeless as she felt. "Tell me, dear brother. Why? It's almost like you want me to have it!"

Zuko took a deep breath, throwing a bout of fire to the ground to calm himself. "Look," he set a hand on Tu Cho's shoulder so she'd stand. "We can spend the rest of the day - the rest of our lives - fighting each other, but it won't get us any closer to mother."

Tu Cho looked to her siblings. "We need to work together. No more fighting until we finish what we came here for. Agreed?"

"Oh Kija Rei..." Azula smirked, "are you actually on my side?"