Of Black Of White

The room was full of crowds from the bottom bench to the top. I hid in the darkened corridor until I was nudged out onto the long, elegant carpet. To my left, where I was to stand, I saw Finn and Poe uniformly disciplined. I looked down the middle next, and saw vivid colors of plants wrap around the archway above the thrones. To my left I saw Ben in all of his polished glory. He was adorned in a buttoned black uniform. He wore a cloak as white as snow, and his hair was placed in perfect waves tucked behind his ears. He looked regal and gracious. At the sight of me his mouth dropped and his pupils dilated.

"I'm proud." A voice took my focus off of walking and I jolted to the side. An arm entwined with mine.

"Leia." I whispered.

"Thank you for taking care of my son." Leia appeared dressed beautifully; not in her typical General's outfit.

"I'm scared." I whispered to her.

"Do not be. I have hope." She rubbed my arm and walked me down the aisle. I began to cry for a multitude of reasons. The altar was so close. I shook terrified, then Leia left right as I needed her the most.

"Are you alright?" Ben whispered to me in his dark, soothing voice and gave me his gloved hand. The concern on his face elongated his features with worry.

"Yes, I am well." I smiled at his valiant face.

We turned to each other and curtsied.

"If everyone could now be seated." General Hux ordered. Everyone sat down, all 5,000 people (that was how many could be seated in the throne room) who showed up for this special day.

"I would like to join King Benjamin Solo of the Skywalker family and Rey of Jakku together on this very day. Both healed the fragmented world we lived in, whether it was poverty, starvation, or death itself. They helped bring order to the new generation of power. The Balance has United us all, it united your founding father and mother as well. Let this day not only be Christening Day, but the Wedding Day to the start of a new era of power." General Hux lectured.

"This ring I put on your finger resembles the dark. Without the dark we would live in a world of oblivion and unlawfulness. The truth would never reveal its true colors when hidden in the light. Rey, I give you darkness so that you may have the strength to think critically and wisely during your rein by my side as Queen." Ben slipped a plain black ring around Rey's finger, which held an etched pure white heart. The two rings on her finger complimented yet contrasted one another.

"This ring I put on your finger resembles the light. Without the light we would live in fear and hopelessness. The truth would never reveal its true colors when hidden in the dark. Ben, I give you light so that you may have the strength to think positively and selflessly during your rein by my side as King." Rey slipped the pure white ring around Ben's finger, which held an etched pure black heart.

They both turned out to the crowd and bowed for them. They then turned to face one another to kiss. And that is what they did in front of 5,000 spectators. The room bursted into joy and spontaneity.

"I ask for everyone to be seated." Hux spoke up once again. And the audience anxiously listened.

"On behalf of the Resistance and the First Order, we select Benjamin Solo as our Devine leader." The room boomed with more excitement.

"Kneel before the throne." General Hux ordered. Charismatically, Ben took a knee and lowered his head.

"I, Benjamin Solo, had been stripped of royalty when I was a boy. I gave up on this mission decades ago, but now it has come to seek me personally. As a King, I will be just, fair, and loyal to all of my subjects. As King I will provide, protect, and share my kindness to all. As King, I will grow wiser, calmer, and cautious through my experiences. I swear to everyone in the galaxy I will become the King for people, not of people. Christen me on this day if you believe in my words." Ben's eyes closed, his throat swallowed dry. In a moment, weight lowered itself on to his head, holding more power than he was aware. He stood tall with his crown and shared a toothy grin with the audience.