Changes

💦***Slight smut alert***💦

During our time apart, Y/N began dating someone.

She brought him home one Christmas and was so excited for the "two most important men in her life" to meet.

On Christmas Eve our families had their annual, joint Christmas party.

Y/N walked in holding his hand and came straight over to me. My breath caught in my throat as she approached. When she threw her arms around me to hug me, my heart was pounding so hard that I was sure she could hear it. She was even more beautiful than the last time I saw her. Her hair had grown longer and her body blossomed. Gone was the young, awkward girl and standing in her place was this breathtaking woman.

The woman that I still loved more than anything.

Sure, I dated through college but never anything serious.
Mostly one night stands after a party, trying to fill the void in my heart.
I always found myself comparing them to her and it would ultimately end...no one could hold a candle to my Y/N.

Introductions were made and we politely shook hands.

I hated him immediately...

Tod, was your typical frat boy whose life revolved around partying.
His parents were loaded and the fact that he was wasting their money seemed almost comical to him.

He wasn't good enough for her, no one ever would be...

Later that night, during the gift exchange, Tod handed her a small box, Y/N opened it to reveal a diamond ring.

He got down on one knee and asked her the question that I yearned to.

Tears filled her eyes as she said yes...and my heart shattered into a million pieces.

My mom glanced over at me, her heart just as broken as mine.
She had always dreamed that one day we would marry and Y/N would be a part of our family.

Y/N ran over and hugged me tightly.
I wanted to tell her that I loved her, that she should be with me and not him but seeing how happy she was...I hid it away in my heart, where it would stay.

I had to accept that she would never be mine, that I would never get to lift her veil to kiss my bride, that I would never see her belly swollen with our babies. That we would never grow old together, surrounded by our children and grandchildren. The life I always dreamed of, would never be...

At that moment I looked over and saw Tod smirking at me...and I wanted to beat the living shit out of him right there and then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One April night I was awoken to the sound of Y/N's ring tone...."You're My Best Friend" by Queen.

It was our special song...

Something was wrong...I knew it before I answered the phone.
We have always had that connection with each other, almost like we could sense when something was off.
Many times we would call each other because we just knew something wasn't right.

"Hello? Y/N?? What's wrong???"

I could hear her sobbing on the other end of the phone.

"I-I...Tod..." Her voice faded as she began to cry harder.

"Y/N! What?? What did he do to you?!? I swear to God, if he hurt you I will fucking kill him!!!"

"He- he...I w-walked in on him with another girl!"

We talked for a while, ending the conversation with a promise that I would be on the first plane to Rhode Island.

I touched down around 4pm the next day. As I exited the plane, I could see her waiting for me.