V.I

I know what you're thinking, trust me. I know what you're thinking, what this has made you think.

You're thinking that I'm in love with Kennedy Abrams.

This is a totally viable conclusion for you all to have drawn, but at the same time...it's not 100% right. But also not 100% wrong. The way I see her and think about her and revolved my life and happiness around her seems like some kind of toxic relationship that only I knew we were even a part of. And in all honesty, I think I was in love with Kennedy Abrams. At least a little bit. I think I still consider myself a straight woman, but at the same time...something about Kennedy Abrams set something off in me.

I was in love with her life, and I wanted it for myself. I was in love with how she acted and how everyone else acted around her. I was in love with that part of her. Her popularity and the ease with which she seemingly waltzed through her life. I think for a time, I was in love with her. The human being of Kennedy Abrams. But when it all boiled down to it, I was in love with what a friendship with her could offer me.

><><

8:27 AM. Rebecca stood outside of Kennedy's apartment door, waiting for the clock to hit 8:30. She didn't want to be early, but she also didn't want to be late. So, she had arrived early and would just stand outside the door until it was time for her to...be on time.

8:28 AM.

She wondered if anyone were looking at her through the peephole. Could they see her standing there, waiting for the clock to get to the right time? Did she look pathetic? Hopefully no one was standing there. That would be strange in and of itself; standing at your peephole watching someone loiter on your 'Come on in!' doormat instead of opening the door and inviting them inside.

8:29 AM.

She could always just knock a minute early. It wouldn't hurt anyone, she didn't think. It would probably be fine. Rebecca felt her hands starting to sweat around the Clemson keychain she had wrapped in her left hand and her phone that she was holding in her right. She needed to be able to knock on a door a minute early. There was nothing wrong with that. She was being stupid.

8:30 AM.

Might as well knock right on time.

Rebecca knocked three times on the door and waited a few seconds before hearing a lock turn from the other side. The door opened and Kennedy was standing behind it, smiling widely as she welcomed Rebecca back into the apartment that she had been in less than 36 hours earlier.

"How are you?" Kennedy asked enthusiastically, flipping her ponytail over her shoulder as she walked into the rest of the apartment, clearly expecting Rebecca to follow. "How was the rest of your Sunday?"

"It was fine." Rebecca replied casually, "Nothing major happened. Just a relaxing day."

"I love that for you." Kennedy grinned as the two walked into the living room, where three people Rebecca didn't recognize were sitting around and talking to each other. They all looked up when Kennedy and Rebecca walked in, and immediately looked to Kennedy for clarification on who else they were looking at.

"Rebecca, I'd like you to meet my friends-slash-roommates." Kennedy gestured towards the girl sitting on an armchair closest to Rebecca, "This is Rian Clark, the absolute most social person you will ever meet. She runs the Social Action club on campus. Everyone, this is Rebecca Eaves, a girl I met at the gym this weekend."