Chapter 22 - Epilogue

Alfred and Ivan had given the news to Rose the same day it had been decided. Needless to say, it wasn't taken well by her or anyone that knew the truth behind the whole ordeal. After Rose had been rescued and the decision had been made, they all went home. That was that. A moment changed everything. Rose had been staying in the northeastern house; she said she was more comfortable there.

New Hampshire stood with America in the front hall, his backpack and duffel on the floor by his feet. He looked up at the empty banister wistfully. Despite having just come downstairs from saying goodbye to Alaska, he was still waiting for her to come to see him out as she usually did, but she didn't come.

New Hampshire looked at him with the same wistful sorrow. "She needs time, Alfred."

"I know," he said quietly.

He closed his eyes and let out a deep breath. When he opened his eyes, New Hampshire was looking straight at him.

"This doesn't need to be said but, please take care of her."

"Of course we will," she reassured him. She reached out and hugged her brother, and when they parted, America picked up both hid bags, swinging his backpack onto his shoulder and turning towards the door.

New Hampshire opened the door for him and America walked out but stopped on the doormat. He turned around and stood just so the sunlight glinted off his glasses.

"Take care of yourselves, too."

"Don't worry about us, Alfred." She smiled and saw Alfred smile sadly back. He looked as if he wanted to tell her something, but he bit his tongue and walked to his car, driving away before New Hampshire closed and locked the door.

New Hampshire tried not to think about what Rose had endured. If she thought about it too much, her head started to pound and she became dizzy. As soon as she'd seen Adelyn, she'd begun panicking inside, and after America and Romania had shown up without using the door, it didn't really make sense. Everything had happened so quickly. They had prevented that utopia world or whatever from happening and had gotten Rose home safely, and that's all that mattered.

-

"I don't think she remembers any of it."

New York sat at his desk chair with his arms crossed over his chest while New Jersey sat on his bed. "How could she not remember any of it?"

"From what you told me? Why would she want to remember it?" New Jersey said. "You said that Rose was shot in front of you guys. You said that Dakota held her while she was, ya know dead."

"Okay but, this doesn't really prove anything. A majority of everyone doesn't remember the other world either."

"They weren't deep into it like you guys were, though."

"Okay, fine," New York relented. "Why do you and Aaron remember so clearly?"

"Because we both noticed something was wrong. Eventually, I got him to admit that he thought something was wrong too, and then, zap. Everything was back to normal. What happened?"

"Vladimir brewed up this spell that transported him and Alfred back in time. Then, we redid it I suppose. We went into the opposite world, but this time we got Rose out safe. Then we went home."

The two of them sat in the silence of the bedroom until New Jersey spoke up again.

"Then, why do you remember?" he asked. "What about that utopia world stayed with you?"

New York didn't have to think long to know what he went, but he kept his mouth shut. He didn't want to admit it to himself, nevermind telling New Jersey."