Candle

Lydia sat on the floor of her room, her head leaned back against the bed frame. The candle in front of her flickered, the flame slowly dying with time. How long had it been? She had no idea. She just knew it was dark, and she was comfortable there.
She'd always been a night owl, staying up until the early hours of the morning lost in thought. It could be really inconvenient. Who decided that all of society had to wake up and function during the early hours of the morning? Whatever happened to free time? Sleep, maybe? It bugged her.
She had a much bigger issue on her plate, however. She fiddled with the business card in her left hand, holding it up to the flame so she could read the words. She had contemplated burning it, but she feared what would happen. She had made a deal, after all.
She'd tried many different ways to bring him back. She'd thought the words and even scribbled them down on her school notes, but nothing worked. She had to say it out loud; however, any time she tried, she hesitated. Some deep fear in her gut told her no, this wasn't a good idea.
"Beetlejuice." She said it once, letting the word ring through the tight quarters of her room. "I don't know if you can hear me, but..just come back. I don't want to have to do this." She glanced down at the card again. "It feels weird. You didn't have any problem showing up before, so.." She trailed off as she saw what had manifested in the corner of her room. That shadow was back, twisting and curling in a cloud of dark mist. This was the closest she'd ever been to it, and now she noticed how..thin it looked. How unreal.
Ghostlike.
"That's you, isn't it?" She squinted and leaned forward, trying to get a closer look. If she stared hard enough, she could make out the faint image of him, but is disappeared the moment she blinked.
"I see you." She leaned back. "Talk to me."
But he couldn't. She knew he couldn't.
"I've thought about it a lot. You must have tried really hard to reach me that night, huh?" She asked, remembering the last week. "It takes a lot of effort for you to have any power without being summoned. Once I summon you, though, you'll be free to do whatever you want. That's why you want it so bad."
For a split second, she saw him. Nodding, expressionless.
She smirked. "So I'm right. Okay." She set the card down. "Good to know."
She blew the candle out, and the shadow was gone.
--------------------------
"Lydia!"
Lydia tensed at the sound of Delia's voice coming from the kitchen. The two of them hadn't had a conversation since last week, and she had been perfectly fine with that. She wasn't in for an awkward conversation. Still, she had to get out of the house somehow, so she continued down the stairs.
"Hey, Delia." She tried to appear nonchalant, filling up her water bottle from the fridge. "What's up?"
Delia's normal smile was much smaller, with an unnatural stiffness to it. "Are you..are we okay?" She asked. "I keep thinking about the other night, and-"
"I'm okay. Don't worry about it." Lydia shrugged. The truth tugged at her: Actually, I'm pretty pissed off, because you're sleeping with my dad and you never told me and I could have killed myself and neither of you stopped me. But, that would cause a lot more problems.
"Something you said, it just broke my heart. You don't truly wish you were dead, do you? This will all pass, darling, and there's nothing you can do once you're gone." Delia placed a hand on her shoulder. "Everything happens for a reason, and I think the three of us will make a great family."
Lydia struggled to hide her distaste. "Thanks, Delia," she said, plastering an appreciative look on her face. "I'm feeling better. I promise."
Delia nodded, satisfied. "Your father said that he and I would be going out tonight. I don't know if that's true, but we'll see. He's been so busy."
"Yup." Lydia began to walk towards the back door. "I'll be on the bus. Oh, and..I have this." She reached into her pocket and pulled out the black crystal Delia had given her.
"Keep it for now," Delia said before Lydia could ask. "You need it."
"Thanks." She walked out the door and down the driveway, rolling her eyes the second she was out of view. It was a nice sentiment- it's not like Lydia was heartless. Delia meant well, but..a family? The three of them, becoming a family like everything was normal? There was no good reason here. It was just a series of very, very unfortunate chance. And now they were going on a date right after the meltdown that had occurred.
She pulled the card out of her pocket. It had been resting right by the crystal- a bad luck charm right next to the good one. She, for some reason, didn't want it out of her sight. It didn't stay in her diary for long; she felt more comfortable with it in her fingers.
"I did it," she mumbled. "I stepped off. If you hadn't shown up, I'd be a ghost right now." It felt more surreal as she said it out loud. She hadn't 'wanted to' do it. It's not like she 'would have' done it. She had halfway fallen by the time he caught her. She shuddered at the thought of being like him, a ghost trapped in shadow. It sent a feeling of pity through her.
I could use a friend, Lyds.
Lydia shook her head, putting the card away as the bus pulled up.