XII

Nina was seated on the couch, hugging a pillow

Nina was seated on the couch, hugging a pillow. Rebekah was still in her old room, changing from her wet clothes. While the blonde was taking her sweet time, the human was rather fast. She quickly changed into a random shirt she found and a pair of leggings.

When the dark haired woman heard the door open, she snapped her attention from the window to the figure walking into the room. Once Rebekah sat down, Nina opened her mouth to speak but was silenced.

"Let me talk first." The vampire stated in a soft yet demanding tone, "Throughout my life, I've gotten my neck snapped more times than I can count. But when you did it, it felt different. I felt like I got stabbed in the heart over and over. I know now that you were compelled but at the time I was clueless. I felt as though I was betrayed."

"I'm sorry, Rebekah. I truly am but why didn't your family come after me? It's been weeks and Nathaniel told me that-"

"-Nathaniel has no clue what he's talking about. And trust me giving other circumstances Nik would have. He never deemed anyone good for me, if he had heard you snapped my neck he would have done the same to you."

"If? They don't know?"

"No. There was something else that happened." Rebekah sighed, "My brothers, Nik and Elijah, sacrificed themselves so my niece Hope could live. It happened a few days after the wedding. I had to stay longer to help with my niece and sister."

"Oh my god, Bex I'm so sorry." Nina spoke, placing the pillow next to her and taking the blondes hands in her own.

"I'm not done." The vampire paused, "If I could have left right after my brothers passed, I would. The time I spent away from you was worse than death itself. I haven't met anyone who I felt such a strong connection for since..."

"Since Marcel?"

"Yes, and after hearing what you said tonight, I know you feel the same."

"What are you saying?" Nina asked, her breath hitching in her throat.

"We've said this before, but to me it always had a double meaning." Rebekah softly stated, "Nina Brandis, I am completely, totally in love with you."

The human was still for a moment before breaking into a smile that warmed the blondes heart. Before Rebekah had any time to say more, Nina sprang forward; cupping Rebekahs cheeks with her hands and kissing her softly. Nina had read stories about the fireworks that someone felt while kissing the person they loved, but was never one to experience it. Until now. What felt like hours had been only seconds when the two separated.

"There's something else." The blonde whispered, slowly taking Nina's hands off of her face and holding them on her lap. "Before my brother died, he told me that someone is holding onto a cure for me."

"A cure? For what?"

"To be human." Rebekah smiled, "Ever since I became a vampire I've wanted to be human, and now I can. We can have a life together, a real one."

"Are you sure? I mean, you've spent a thousand years being one."

"Do you not want to be together?" The blonde questioned, her eyebrows furrowing together.

"No, of course I do! I just want to make sure you're completely positive."

"I am."

Nina nodded, smiling before leaning her head onto Rebekah's shoulder; the two watching the rain fall outside.

the next chapters in this book will have time jumps!!

<33